Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Thoughts On N. German Pils Grain Bill  (Read 1614 times)

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
Thoughts On N. German Pils Grain Bill
« on: October 30, 2011, 08:46:00 am »
I'll be brewing a N. German Pils next weekend and am planning on using 100% Best Malz Pils for the grain bill (along with a small amount of acid malt for mash pH adjustment).  I've brewed this style with a small amount Munich or Vienna before, and I've been pleased with the results.  But I've read that 100% is the way to go.  For those who have brewed, or even perfected, this style, what would you suggested is the best approach?

FYI, I'll be doing a single-infusion mash at 150 for 60 minutes.
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Thoughts On N. German Pils Grain Bill
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 09:11:37 am »
I use 100% Pils malt.  Durst was my Pils malt for years, but that supply has dried up.  Have some Best Pils to use for the first time soon, and a bag of Weyermann Pils which many like.

For the record, have used Hochkurz double decoctions and am happy with that for the Durst.  Advice on the Best and Weyermann mash technique would be appreciated.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 10:38:05 am »
I've done a hockhurz double decoction for a helles, and while I liked the results, I can't say whether it was any better than the single-infusion helles beers I've brewed.

I'll be doing a single infusion for my pils both for sake of simplicity and because I've made successful single-infusion light german lagers before.  I'm just wondering if I should add a small amount of carapils or something like it in order to round out the mouthfeel a bit.
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 10:58:42 am »
I wouldn't add any carapils for a German pils.  Most of the time, I do pils malt only.  Every once in a while I'll sub in a lb. of Munich for a lb. of the pils.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 11:52:20 am »
matt - for  a 12gal batch, I use:

19lbs Pils
1lbs Munich
1lbs Carafoam
2oz acid (dependent on your water)

I know, as Denny said to not use the dextrine malt, but its one of those 'if it ain't broke' things for me - I love the way this turns out - usually goes from 1.049 to 1.010-1.008 and is delicious.  In fact, I just kegged some on Friday night and can't wait till its ready in a few weeks!
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 06:34:07 pm »
Thanks for the feedback.  I'll have to think on this over the next week.  On the one hand, I think adding carapils could add some nice roundness to the mouthfeel.  On the other hand, I'd kind of like to see what a 100% pilsner beer tastes like.
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial