Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hombrew in Charity Auctions; is this legal in Oregon now? Elsewhere?  (Read 4280 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Hombrew in Charity Auctions; is this legal in Oregon now? Elsewhere?
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2011, 04:27:39 pm »
I know that at the Great Lakes Brewfest this year in Racine, Wisconsin, no homebrews were permitted for some reason tied to taxing it, IIRC.  The commercial brewers were there and the event is a charity fundraiser (for a local drum and bugle corps - the "Kilties" -- who sounded great by the way).  Still, I missed the homebrew island that usually was always well stocked and well attended - it also gave homebrewer's a live forum to discuss the hobby and likely launched a few new brewers into the hobby.  Crazy that we can't seem to get this simple concept resolved.  Let homebrewers give their beer away, whether at home, at club events, at competitions or at charity events, even if an entry fee is charged or the homebrew is included in a raffled prize or other fundraising source for the charity.  How hard is that to put into a statute!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
Re: Hombrew in Charity Auctions; is this legal in Oregon now? Elsewhere?
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2011, 09:27:12 pm »
You really think there would be a problem from doing this?  Who cares what the letter of the law says.  Use some common sense.

Zing! Well, I'll try that one next time I get a ticket.  I should clarify that I work for at a pretty conservative public agency, I don't always get the benefit of common sense. ;)
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified