Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: When to add honey.  (Read 7180 times)

Offline kharn74

• 1st Kit
When to add honey.
« on: September 20, 2011, 04:30:21 pm »
I am about a week away from brewing my second batch of beer.  I decided to try a recipe from "The Homebrewer's Companion" called Belgian Tickle (Honey Ale).  Here is my dilemma, it really does not say when to add the honey.  I imagine you add it with the malt extract but some other honey ale recipes that I have been looking at add the honey about 15 min before the end of the boil.  any advice would help.

If anyone has tried the recipe, what kind of yeast did you use.  It calls for a Belgian Yeast culture but have noticed Trappist Yeast cultures also.  It is supposed to resemble a Chimay Red.
Nothing beats a day of brewing.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: When to add honey.
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 04:41:38 pm »
Wyeast 1214 is Chimay yeast if you want to go that route.  I'd recommend making a starter if you use it.  If you want to retain honey flavor and aroma, I'd add it to the fermenter, not the kettle.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 04:48:03 pm »
I add honey at flameout and retain flavor too.
Phoenix, AZ

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 06:59:02 am »
I do what Denny mentions and add the honey to the fermentor. FWIW, I use a mix-stir to blend it into the wort. Honey simply added to a fermentor will sink to the bottom. Seems to do the trick . . .   
Just brew it...

Offline stlaleman

• Assistant Brewer
    • Penrose Picobrewery
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 07:13:16 am »
Allowing the yeast to sit on the bottom is not a bad thing. The yeast will find and eat it as it slowly dissolves. This is how I make meads, sort of a continious feeding.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 07:45:32 am »
I would also add the honey to the fermenter to retain the flavor/aroma character. Adding to the boil will volatilize some of this character.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 10:29:21 am by bluesman »
Ron Price

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 07:05:59 am »
We've brewed a honey weis now a couple times. The first batch we added the honey in the last 15 minutes of the boil and had a very nice mellow honey taste to the beer. The second batch we added for the last 3 minutes of the boil and had a much stronger honey taste and aroma. I liked the first batch and several others preferred the second. Maybe the next time we'll try the fermenter as others have mentioned, sounds interesting......
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline captain_sousie

• Cellarman
  • I am the Stig's Fat American Cousin
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 05:27:00 pm »
Wyeast 1214 is Chimay yeast if you want to go that route.  I'd recommend making a starter if you use it.  If you want to retain honey flavor and aroma, I'd add it to the fermenter, not the kettle.
+1 for both the starter and when to add the honey
Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 09:30:27 am »
Always use a starter for every beer, but especially with certain strains like this one that can throw out a ton of banana.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 07:46:23 am »
I like to add honey at flameout to help it dissolve and kill any bacteria that may be present.
Dave Zach

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 10:52:03 am »
I like to add honey at flameout to help it dissolve and kill any bacteria that may be present.

+1

This is what I did, just added the honey at flameout, and gave it 10 minutes to pasturize before turning on the chiller. I am not sure that this particularly helped anything, but it definitely helped me RDWHAHB. Oh, and the beer tasted great.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 02:25:33 pm »
Honey provides a very harsh environment for bacteria.  Basically it lacks the right nutrients for bacteria to exist and survive.  You'd have to take a sh*t in the honey for it to harbor bacteria.
Jesse

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 02:30:08 pm »
Honey provides a very harsh environment for bacteria.  Basically it lacks the right nutrients for bacteria to exist and survive.
Mostly it lacks enough available water.  Same result though, the bacteria won't live and if they do they won't grow.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 02:32:27 pm »
Honey provides a very harsh environment for bacteria.  Basically it lacks the right nutrients for bacteria to exist and survive.
Mostly it lacks enough available water.  Same result though, the bacteria won't live and if they do they won't grow.

as well as containing a small amount of hydrogen peroxide (H2O2 I believe) but things can hang out on the surface (yeast mostly) and will start to ferment as soon as the osmotic preasure drops enough for them to access the sugars. so keep that honey dry!

but whatever might be lingering there will not be able to compete with the amount of yeast you would add for beer.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2011, 02:36:28 pm »
Honey provides a very harsh environment for bacteria.  Basically it lacks the right nutrients for bacteria to exist and survive.
Mostly it lacks enough available water.  Same result though, the bacteria won't live and if they do they won't grow.
Indeed.  I should prolly make a mead again, it's been a year.  I try for one batch of mead a year.
Jesse