Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Godspeed Little Berries  (Read 1990 times)

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
Godspeed Little Berries
« on: November 11, 2011, 05:08:57 pm »
Just pitched my anual batch of muscadine wine yesterday; frothing nicely @65f as we speak.

28 pounds picked from my yard. Should come in around 13%
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Godspeed Little Berries
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 12:24:24 am »
That's awesome. Got any pics?

I remember you talking about them before. I've only heard of mustang grapes in my area.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
Re: Godspeed Little Berries
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 08:18:39 am »
I forgot to take pics ::)  I'll try to remember next year and document the process.

I think mustang grapes are somewhat simular to muscadines. I believe muscadines would grow well in your area because they are "native" all the way west to Texas. They are very heat tolerant. They grow wild everywhere around here but a pain to gather. They usually grow to the tops of trees and are impossile to reach. I planted some on horizonal trelisses.

The cultivated varieties are reasonablly cheap. I bought mine from here: http://isons.com/index.html

I found a wild scuppernog vine in the edge of a field and last spring I laid a runner along the ground and placed a rock on it. Around February I will cut it and plant it also in my "vineyard".
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee