Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: succession?  (Read 3992 times)

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
succession?
« on: February 01, 2010, 04:38:33 pm »
When you drink beer is succession, do you drink up or down in ABV and BU's?  I tend to prefer drinking down otherwise some of the finess seems to disappear(sp?).  I can't go by BU's alone or ABV alone.

For instance, when drinking Founder's, if I really want to enjoy all their beers, I drink the Breakfast Stout 60 IBU's & 8.3%abv, Dirty Bastard 50 IBU's & 8.5%, Centennial IPA 65 IBU's & 7.2% then Pale Ale 35 IBU's & 5.4% abv.  Otherwise one will overpower the other and I don't get the full flavor and aroma of the beer.  

I haven't put Red's Rye in there yet and its one of my favorites, way better than their PA which is Not one of my favorites. 
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 04:52:27 pm by dean »

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: succession?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 09:18:24 pm »
Wow, that's putting a lot of thought into your beer drinking ;D.  I pretty much go with what tastes best while I'm cooking, what goes best with dinner and then I do enjoy a Trappist ale while I do dishes.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 06:11:32 am »
Wow, that's putting a lot of thought into your beer drinking . . .

. .and a lot of beer drinking through your liver.
Just brew it...

Offline mikeypedersen

• Brewer
  • Longmont, CO
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 08:54:43 am »
Never had the Founder's beers, but I can't imagine that drinking an IPA before a Pale Ale will help your tasting of the Pale Ale.  There's a much better chance that some of the more delicate flavors/aromas will go undetected from drinking the more flavorful and robust beer first, for 2 beers so close in style in and flavor.

brewboy

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 08:29:57 pm »
Too much structure for me. I grab whatever feels right at the time.

Offline coypoo

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 09:50:16 pm »
You really should go the other way around, up in IBU's, alcohol, SRM, and so on. Think about it this way, would you drink a 95 IBU 10% IIPA before you drank a pale ale? Or would you drink a RIS before you drank a brown? If you start higher, you will ruin your taste buds to the delicate flavors of the more mild beers. But if that is what works for you, then more power to you

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 05:15:51 am »
You should always go lighter to heavy.

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 08:35:52 am »
You really should go the other way around, up in IBU's, alcohol, SRM, and so on. Think about it this way, would you drink a 95 IBU 10% IIPA before you drank a pale ale? Or would you drink a RIS before you drank a brown? If you start higher, you will ruin your taste buds to the delicate flavors of the more mild beers. But if that is what works for you, then more power to you

Well, thats what I thought too but once I drink the PA or the IPA my tastebuds are blown and I don't taste the delicacies(sp?) of the other beers.  Especially don't drink something very hop forward before drinking the Breakfast Stout, at least in this case.  Jmo...

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 08:44:00 am »
Wow... I just looked up how to spell delicacies... its another one of them that blow the rule (i before e, except after c) out of the water eh?   :D  Thats why I never did well in english class, too many rules with exceptions... some, home, comb, tomb, etc.   ::)   ;D
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 08:49:45 am by dean »

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 08:58:08 am »
Hmm... maybe thats the answer to my original question?  There are exceptions to every rule?   Hmmm... so does that mean a person can literally drink themselves sober?   :D ;D

Geeze... I had to look up themself, then thought no... its theirself, but it couldn't be because it sounds plural... aaghhhhhhh!  I don't know.  Just what I need, another OCD!   :D >:(

thy self?....  ??? :D
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 09:05:54 am by dean »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 09:20:29 am »
For me, it depends on why I'm drinking...if I really want to evaluate a beer, I go from less assertive to more assertive.  If I'm drinking strictly for enjoyment, it doesn't matter what order they're in....it's whatever seems best at the moment.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 11:36:26 am »
  Hmmm... so does that mean a person can literally drink themselves sober?   :D ;D

Don't know about sober but as most drinkers learn theres a point where you can keep drinking all night as long you intake stays constant. Throw in a double shot or shooter (insert your poison) and its game over.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010, 11:40:15 am »
Don't know about sober but as most drinkers learn theres a point where you can keep drinking all night as long you intake stays constant.

_Maybe_ when I was younger, but no way these days....
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell