Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: anyone by chance  (Read 26114 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: anyone by chance
« Reply #105 on: February 04, 2010, 10:36:13 am »
Heh heh...I live 30 miles out of town on 14 beautiful wooded acres with 400 ft. of river frontage.  Takes me 25 min. to get to work....
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
« Reply #106 on: February 04, 2010, 10:38:57 am »
Anyone that commutes 3 hours is a friggin moron

Or lives in Los Angeles. :)

I drive 36 miles round trip to work every day (except Thursday when I get to code in the peace and quiet of home). If there weren't any traffic it would take me 20 minutes each way. But oy, the time it takes some days.

Oh no doubt there are days.
I worked in Boston for a time.....................................

Commutes from hell, we've all seen them but I'll stand by what I said.

FWIW I consider a 3 hour commute to be BOTH WAYS, not just the occasional bad afternoon ride home

I'm only on 6 acres Denny. 30 mile commute, 35 minutes or so.
You have river frontage............... you have a submersible to cool the wort with during Spring run-off :D
Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead

Offline enso

• Brewer
  • Northeast Kingdom, VT
    • Bristle Bros. Brewing Blog
« Reply #107 on: February 04, 2010, 10:41:35 am »
New Englanders...  ::)

Three hours isn't a road trip. Hell, in a lot of places it's barely a commute.

Yeah but you flatlanders have nice straight parallel and perpendicular flat roads without giant frost heaves!

Ya can't get tha from hea'

;)
Dave Brush

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #108 on: February 04, 2010, 10:43:49 am »

FWIW I consider a 3 hour commute to be BOTH WAYS, not just the occasional bad afternoon ride home

I never understood why anyone living outside of the city would do anything other than heigh your butt to the nearest commuter. I really do miss the T out here, but given the relative sizes of the cities.

And I have co-workers who do that 3 hours... One lives down in Manhattan Beach and it's pure traffic - about the same distance as my commute, much much longer times in. Another at least lives all the way out in Lancaster. By the time he realised he wasn't just working the job "temporarily" his son was well established in the community and he didn't want ot rip him out of there. Egads.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

brewboy

« Reply #109 on: February 04, 2010, 10:46:19 am »
You give up a lot on conveniences living in the country, but what you gain, far outweighs the losses.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #110 on: February 04, 2010, 10:56:20 am »
Heh heh...I live 30 miles out of town on 14 beautiful wooded acres with 400 ft. of river frontage.  Takes me 25 min. to get to work....

Got you beat - I live 30 minutes from town on wooded acreage but I don't have to go anywhere right now.  8)

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #111 on: February 04, 2010, 11:35:43 am »

I never understood why anyone living outside of the city would do anything other than heigh your butt to the nearest commuter. I really do miss the T out here, but given the relative sizes of the cities.

And I have co-workers who do that 3 hours... One lives down in Manhattan Beach and it's pure traffic - about the same distance as my commute, much much longer times in. Another at least lives all the way out in Lancaster. By the time he realised he wasn't just working the job "temporarily" his son was well established in the community and he didn't want ot rip him out of there. Egads.
Man, I do not miss LA. Actually, I miss some things, but I don't miss working there.

There's a brewer I know in Eugene who is pushing "Cascadian Dark Ale" instead of Black IPA. I don't think that will stick.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
« Reply #112 on: February 04, 2010, 11:39:47 am »

I walk 800 yards to work from home and walk home at lunch to let the dog out.  Except when its my turn to drive the kids to daycare & school, but that's maybe a 3 mile cicuit - small town livin' is grand  ;D
We hope to someday be outside of town on an acreage, but we're content where we are while the kids are young.
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #113 on: February 04, 2010, 12:01:03 pm »
There's a brewer I know in Eugene who is pushing "Cascadian Dark Ale" instead of Black IPA. I don't think that will stick.

That's a very different beer than a black IPA, though.....

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
« Reply #114 on: February 04, 2010, 12:18:54 pm »

That's a very different beer than a black IPA, though.....
Talk to Matt at Oakshire. You should anyway, he's a hell of  a nice guy and brews some good beers.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #115 on: February 04, 2010, 12:31:26 pm »
I know Matt well.  He not only judged the Sasquatch Homebrew contest for me last year, he brought a keg of their special Sassie beer for the judge's lunch!  I got a keg filled with theoir excellent IPA from him recently.  IIRC, the Cascadian uses a Belgian yeast and rye, besides being as hoppy as an AIPA.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
« Reply #116 on: February 04, 2010, 12:49:08 pm »
I know Matt well.  He not only judged the Sasquatch Homebrew contest for me last year, he brought a keg of their special Sassie beer for the judge's lunch!  I got a keg filled with theoir excellent IPA from him recently.  IIRC, the Cascadian uses a Belgian yeast and rye, besides being as hoppy as an AIPA.
Tell him Greg from Flossmoor says hello when you get a chance. We were sad to see him go but it sounds like he's making the most of his new opportunities.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #117 on: February 04, 2010, 12:56:15 pm »
Will do, Greg!  Matt's a great guy and he's making some great beers.

www.dennybrew.com