Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Opps, Maybe  (Read 2448 times)

Offline chrisccasey

• 1st Kit
Opps, Maybe
« on: January 16, 2010, 09:53:07 am »
I brewed a batch of Double IPA last night. I shook the vile of WLP001 like I always do and when I carefully opened it a drop or two of it spilled.

It has been 9.5 hours since I pitched and there are no signs of fermentation and once again my "yeast paranoia" has set in. Should I repitch a new vile or not worry about it just yet.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Opps, Maybe
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 10:07:28 am »
Spilling a drop or 2 won't hurt anything.  I'm guessing that your long lag is because you didn't make a starter...at least you didn't mention one.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mikeypedersen

• Brewer
  • Longmont, CO
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 10:10:09 am »
It sounds like you might have under pitched your yeast. What was your original gravity? A double ipa is going to require a lot of healthy yeast. Probably 2-3 vials or a good starter. Did you aerate your wort?

Offline chrisccasey

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 10:13:42 am »
No starter, very well aerated. I have used this yeast in batches with OG as high as 1.09 and was great with one vile.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 10:22:50 am »
Yeah, it's always OK until it isn't!  ;)  FWIW, I never use any liquid yeast without a starter.  My experience with hundreds of batches is that every beer I use a starter for ferments and tastes better.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline chrisccasey

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 10:28:19 am »
Thats the truth, I will be making starters from now on...Thanks.

Offline chrisccasey

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 06:17:12 am »
My IPA is fermenting really nicely now. Thanks again for your help...