Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Aerating Wort  (Read 7835 times)

Offline miguelpanderland

• Cellarman
  • Glendale, WI
Aerating Wort
« on: November 02, 2011, 06:40:07 am »
Where does one purchase pure O2 put pump into the wort?  For those that use this practice, how do you find it works for you?

Offline James Lorden

• Brewer
  • Forest Hill, MD
Re: Aerating Wort
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 07:01:32 am »
I but the disposable red cans from the welding section in home depot.  I was able to find an inline flowmeter that is used for oxygen masks on amazon and I posted a link in a different topic.  I run this setup through a stainless diffusion stone purchased from morebeer.

At a flow rate of 1 liter per minute and a run time of 1 to 2 minutes per batch I have had excellent results and the O2 can lasts surprisingly long.
James Lorden
Beer Drinker Beer Maker & Beer Judge

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 07:47:33 am »
I agree that the disposable red cylinders will provide a lot of O2 for brewing.  I have an inline sintered stone that I use for my wort oxygenation.  At a wort flow rate of about 1 gpm and a fine stream of O2 bubbles the entire time, I've gotten dozens of batches with a single tank.  I wish I had one of those oxygen flow meters, but I don't.  That would probably tell me that I'm running the O2 well under 1 liter/min, but I'm running it longer than James for a 5 gal batch.  Maybe I'm coming close to equivalent????  

My time lags are just a few hours for my ales.

Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline ibru

• Assistant Brewer
  • Brew Day is My Day!
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 08:35:50 am »
I can't remember what they cost but I get 10-12 brews per red bottle. I really give the higher gravity beers a good long shot.

I like the idea of pure O2 to the air around my shop.

Offline Matt B

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 08:48:32 am »
Home Despot or your local welding supply shop will have the red o2 bottles.

I've actually switched over to using my regular air compressor and an air filter for aerating standard beers, and let it run for ~5 mins or so. Haven't had any issues, and cheaper and more readily available than going straight o2. When making really big beers I do still go with the pure o2 to get the ppm you need.

Offline James Lorden

• Brewer
  • Forest Hill, MD
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 09:29:24 am »
I agree that the disposable red cylinders will provide a lot of O2 for brewing.  I have an inline sintered stone that I use for my wort oxygenation.  At a wort flow rate of about 1 gpm and a fine stream of O2 bubbles the entire time, I've gotten dozens of batches with a single tank.  I wish I had one of those oxygen flow meters, but I don't.  That would probably tell me that I'm running the O2 well under 1 liter/min, but I'm running it longer than James for a 5 gal batch.  Maybe I'm coming close to equivalent????  

My time lags are just a few hours for my ales.

Martin - I'm guessing that your inline setup is more efficient than my "dip your tube in the wort method".  I think that the proper O2 rate is much lower then what most people think.

I tell people all the time that when it comes to O2, consistency is key.  When I used to brew exclusively with carboys I never used a flow meter because I knew exactly what my bubble pattern should look like for the results that I was trying to achieve.  Once I got the conical and could no longer see the bubbles rising through the wort I needed to get a flow meter because my measuring system (my eyeballs) was no longer affective.

BTW, the flow meter was pretty cheap and installs inline
James Lorden

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 12:44:45 pm »
I use a medical oxygen tank (green) with a regulator and an in-line stone from Morebeer. I can't remember the exact size of the tank put it is a bout 2.5 ft tall. I run it at 1.5 liters/minute for about 5 minutes for 5 gallons. It takes about 10 minutes to chill the whole thing with my plate chiller.

I have to fill it up about once a year (at least 20 brews) for $15. Way cheaper than the Home Depot cylinders.
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline James Lorden

• Brewer
  • Forest Hill, MD
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 01:46:42 pm »
I use a medical oxygen tank (green) with a regulator and an in-line stone from Morebeer. I can't remember the exact size of the tank put it is a bout 2.5 ft tall. I run it at 1.5 liters/minute for about 5 minutes for 5 gallons. It takes about 10 minutes to chill the whole thing with my plate chiller.

I have to fill it up about once a year (at least 20 brews) for $15. Way cheaper than the Home Depot cylinders.

I always say you do what works for you, but 1.5 liters per minute for 5 minutes of pure O2 is a lot of oxygen!
James Lorden

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 01:51:59 pm »
hmm - I never get that many uses from mine.  perhaps mine leak.  do you guys detach the regulator from the red tank after each use or do you leave it attached?  I was beginning to think that since I detach the regulator, the tank may not be sealing properly and I have a slow leak?
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline James Lorden

• Brewer
  • Forest Hill, MD
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 02:04:59 pm »
http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_oxygenation.cfm

Per the Wyeast website, 1 minute will give 12ppm of disolved oxygen (although the flow rate is left out which is an important variable).

The Yeast book by JZ and CW shows similar results.
James Lorden

Offline mabrungard

• Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 02:07:36 pm »
I always detach the regulator off the disposable tanks.

Since I haven't had a way to assess the quantity of oxygen added to my wort, I never have worried about the amount.  But as James mentions above, 1.5 L/min for 5 min might be a lot.  I'm betting there is some sort of stoichiometric calculation as to the appropriate amount of oxygen to add to a mass of wort to achieve a certain dissolved oxygen content in the wort.  I know I can dig it out of my wastewater engineering texts, but has anyone already done that calculation?

I also have a little 10 lb oxygen tank, but I've been waiting to use up the 2 disposable tanks I had already purchased.  It should be much cheaper as snowtiger (why don't you add your name to your signature line?) points out.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 02:22:09 pm »
I just began using the diposable O2 canisters after going for years with an aquarium pump and an in-line filter.

I noticed that the 02 doesn't seem to cause as much foaming as the aquarium pump.

Do other people get the same effect?  Am I running it at perhaps too low a flow rate?

I tried for a flow rate where it was clearly bubbling, but far below a wort churning flow.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline James Lorden

• Brewer
  • Forest Hill, MD
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2011, 06:54:07 pm »
Nope, you don't want it bubbling up.  When it's bubbling to much then it's not dissolving into solution.  A very gentle bubbling is what you want.  Also, since you only need a few minutes of bubbling there isn't as much time for a big foam to form.  Last, if it's true that foam proteins only work once then all of those bubbles formed during aeration are wasted. Gentle is the way to go.
James Lorden

Offline rightasrain

• Cellarman
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2011, 07:27:58 pm »

This is the greenest way to go. That's probably why the medical tanks are colored green. I know in Salt Lake City, Utah all of the welding shops have praxair refill there tanks. And praxair will not refill medical grade tanks. There are a few places that refill these tanks but not without a medical prescription for O2. Just something you might want to be aware of before you purchase an oxygen tank.
"Rogues are willing to shun titles and personal financial success in the  pursuit of the greater good.
Rogues pursue the long shot.
Rogues have respect for diversity.
Rogues work hard.
Rogues are driven to succeed in their chosen field.
Rogues are honest with themselves and others.
Rogues are rebels."
- www.rogue.com

Offline 1vertical

• Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2011, 10:51:44 pm »
I recommend this product even tho it is somewhat spendy.
It is a stainless wand with a scintered stainless bur on the end.
Way better control of oxygen delivery than a flexible hose.
http://www.williamsbrewing.com/22-AERATION-WAND-P490C106.aspx

Edit: Yeah fixed it...

« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 08:10:24 am by 1vertical »
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.