Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Why hide behind a Alias?  (Read 19846 times)

Offline James Lorden

• Brewer
  • Forest Hill, MD
Re: Why hide behind a Alias?
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2011, 10:55:38 am »
Aside from calling a grown man SiameseMoose, there was no impersonality or other downside to using a handle.

I do think it's goofy when people call up the Brewing Network and use their "screen" name... "Hi this is Butsniffer from the forum..."  It sounds so ridiculous.

I want to go on record as saying that the aliases don't bother me.  

Also want to say that I really appreciate everything that you say on this forum Martin, you are one of my favorite contributors.
James Lorden
Beer Drinker Beer Maker & Beer Judge

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2011, 11:13:06 am »
[I do think it's goofy when people call up the Brewing Network and use there "screen" name... "Hi this is Butsniffer from the forum..."  It sounds so ridiculous.

But that is how we refer to people in the BN Army.  I've run into people at festivals wearing the colors and don't think I ever got their "real" names.  A lot of the BN forum names go along with the personalities of the BN army, so much that we forget what their real names are.  Who the hell would want to talk to Matt...but Blober Glawp is a different story  :D

I think buttsniffer was banned for life...for obvious reasons.  ;D

Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline dcbc

• Brewer
« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2011, 12:35:13 pm »
I use the screen name DCBC.  It stands for Dry County Brewing Concern.  I am polite on the internet.  If anyone is interested in my real name, it is Doug.  For our purposes on this forum, I think the backstory on DCBC is a tad more interesting and relevant.
I've consumed all of my home brew and still can't relax!  Now what!

Offline thirsty

• Brewer
  • Brewster, NY
« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2011, 12:58:11 pm »
I honestly don't care one way or the other. I don't think someone's behavior on an internet forum will change no matter what name they use to post. Good people are good people and jerks are jerks, no matter what name they use.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2011, 01:35:19 pm »
I started with the alias.  So many people I know were on here, and had identified themselves, I thought why not.  Being retired now, no worries about being called into the boss's office at the big corporation, even though I never used the company computer for the beer stuff.

Since I lived in Germany, I liked the saying "Hopfen und Malz, Gott erhalts".  This can be translatted a few ways as the verb erhalts can several meanings.  The one I like is "Hops and Malt, God provides".

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2011, 01:36:19 pm »
Well, I just think that an alias is as good as a real name.  A name is just a label.  What matters most is who the person is, the information they bring to the table, the personality they present.  I act the same way on this forum as I do in real life.  It's very easy to say things on the internet that you wouldn't in reality, but I try to think of these forums as if I'm friends with all of you guys and act as if I would if we were all in a room or bar hanging out.  Sometimes I'm crude, sometimes I'm loud, sometimes I'm goofy, sometimes I don't say anything at all.  That wouldn't change if I knew your name or not.  If I met you in person, I'd still connect you with your alias, whether it is your real name or a made up name.  It's just a label.

+1
I am Kit_B, every day of my life.
Every day has its own moods & challenges, but I face every single one as Kit_B.
Ask me for my opinions & thoughts in person, or online...
You'll get the same answers.

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2011, 01:39:32 pm »
I could list my name at the bottom as John Holmes, but would that make my comments any more credible?

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2011, 02:47:11 pm »
Never have given it a thought.

Signed,

;)
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #68 on: November 03, 2011, 03:23:12 pm »
I have worked in SEO. I expect to have to go through a job search again once or twice in my life.

My name is Nate. The "Mr" is just something I added on way back when because I wasn't able to register just "Nate." If you want in on the secret, I'm not that old at all. The salutation isn't necessary for anything other than branding purposes.

And frankly, whether or not you find my ramblings useful, true, or funny based in any way on whether or not you know my last name is of no concern to me. It's not as if I feel I have some great knowledge to impart to the brewing community if only they would take me seriously.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #69 on: November 03, 2011, 04:35:47 pm »
I'm LineNoiz on dozens of places
LineNoiz?!  LineNoiz?!

All of this time I've been calling you "Linen Oi! Z" ;D
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #70 on: November 03, 2011, 04:46:54 pm »
Oh, as far as aliases go, I can see Martin's point for people who are not here a lot.  If you asked a question and got a response from Gordon or Denny, I'm sure it would hold more weight than a post from somerandomguy, unless you hung out on the forum enough to know if somerandomguy knows what he's talking about.

But I can also see the value in protecting your anonymity, if you're worried about it.

I used my real name because I lacked the creativity to come up with something more clever. ;)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #71 on: November 03, 2011, 04:53:36 pm »
I personally don't care one way or the other. If someone acts like a jerk the mods here will take care of it whether we know your real name or not. ;)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #72 on: November 03, 2011, 04:55:13 pm »
I personally don't care one way or the other. If someone acts like a jerk the mods here will take care of it whether we know your real name or not. ;)

Oh Yeah? come on if you think your hard enough! I could take you and denny and Drew with one arm tied behind my back!!!! Grrrr. ;D
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #73 on: November 03, 2011, 05:11:04 pm »
Yeah, but we have the "lock, delete and ban" buttons.  :P Luckily for all of us most everyone on this forum is top notch A+ users. Makes life easier for all of us, and we appreciate it.  :)

Offline captain_sousie

• Cellarman
  • I am the Stig's Fat American Cousin
« Reply #74 on: November 03, 2011, 05:42:58 pm »
The reason I always use an alias on the 'net is because my workplace has an incredibly draconian internet representation/usage policy.  If I am posting under my name and a student/parent finds me posting on a beer forum, I could be dismissed for it.  It could be viewed as promoting alcohol use and when you work with in schools that is generally frowned upon in my neck of the woods.  Crappy reason but one I have to live with if I want to keep working here. 

That said, I try not to be a jerk and like to think I would say what is said here to a person, not just a text box. 

If you're ever in the area of milepost 104 on I80 in Wyoming, feel free to drop me a line and I'd love to meet any of you.

Sou
Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.