Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Using wine yeast for beer  (Read 2687 times)

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
Using wine yeast for beer
« on: November 08, 2011, 10:55:51 am »
Anyone ever used wine yeast, such as Red Star Montrachet to ferment beer?  I guess my ultimate goal would be to brew a super dry beer that is really well attenuated.  Just curious if anyone has done it and what temperature to ferment it at.  When I make my cider with wine yeast I just let it sit out at room temp and it tastes great.

I'm wondering if I should stay in the 60's if I choose to go this route.
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"

Offline eltharyon

• Cellarman
    • Barefoot Lion Brewing
Re: Using wine yeast for beer
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 11:10:24 am »
actually you will get the opposite effect.

Wine yeast cannot ferment maltose(or is it maltoriose) so all the basic sugars will ferment out leaving the maltose and dextrines. 
This is a pretty interesting way to work on a sour beer, use the wine yeast to eat the basic sugars and then let the bugs have the maltose and dextrines.  But for a normal beer you won't get it as dry as you expect.  You can use wine yeast and beer yeast to combine flavors since wine yeast can produce some interesting fruity characters.  But, you also have to worry about "killer" wine yeast strains.

Check the Brewing Network Archives for the show with Shea Comfort back a few years ago, he goes into this a bit.  I did have the stout that gets mentioned in the episode, it finished way high.