Author Topic: All grain brewing in the winter  (Read 5472 times)

Offline morticaixavier

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Davis, CA
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: All grain brewing in the winter
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2011, 10:28:01 AM »
So you're saying "why not make your own extract to use later?" ;)

yeah exactly, except, unless you have a vacuum evaporator you probably don't want to reduce it to a syrup. Hey we are homebrewers after all.
I think it's a pretty good idea, you still retain full control over the wort but you 'll have to expect some darkening.  I'm not sure it is worth the effort, but I have different circumstances.  I'm really glad that I don't have problems brewing in the winter :)
[/quote]

yeah, I think about what it would be like if I still lived in VT and had gotten this obessed with brewing. I don't think I would have gotten into all grain to the extent that I have which would be a bummer as I really enjoy the process. Brewing out doors at -10f does not sound fun. I can see myself hugging the kettle while trying to avoid setting myself on fire.

Offline ckpash88

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2011, 10:29:54 AM »
If you wanted to brew 2.5 gallon batches to save space so you can do it inside how big would you want your mash tun to be for a average gravity beer?

Bc i have thought of doing this so i can have a faster turn over and experiment more and be able to do it in the winter. I live in MN and even in my garage its 40 degrees during the winter gets a little cold
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the Universe

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2011, 10:34:25 AM »
I built a 1-gallon setup for doing some little batches, it was cheap and easy.  I use a 2 gallon round cooler as a mash tun.  I think for an average gravity beer, mash tun volume can equal batch size and you'll be fine.  A 2 gallon cooler will probably be fine for a 2.5 gallon batch too.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline morticaixavier

• Davis, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2011, 10:36:07 AM »
If you wanted to brew 2.5 gallon batches to save space so you can do it inside how big would you want your mash tun to be for a average gravity beer?

Bc i have thought of doing this so i can have a faster turn over and experiment more and be able to do it in the winter. I live in MN and even in my garage its 40 degrees during the winter gets a little cold

well lets see, when I do an average gravity 5 gallon batch in my 72 qt coleman it is less that half full so I would think you could get away with around 20 qt size. I started with all grain with a grain bag suspended in a 7 gallon bottling bucket indoors and that worked for average gravity 5 gallon batches so it would be fine for a 2.5 gallon batch.

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2011, 11:19:06 AM »
Seajellie I like how you only see the positives. Thankyou that was helpful. I will look into a pond pump.

+1   Duh!  Why didn't I think of that. You have just solved my problem which is getting my wort cool enough in the summertime.
We pull from the river to a gravity fed water system and in the summer I can never get my wort cool enough. I will rig my chiller
to an ice bucket with a little pond pump. I just saw one online for about $15.

Thanks for the idea.
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline ckpash88

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2011, 11:21:18 AM »
You were making one gallon batches? Our had a one gallon mash run?

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
  • Kit B - Bottineau Prairie, MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2011, 01:47:07 PM »
You can get a hose adapter and run the hose out a window to wherever you are brewing...

Only if you want a skating rink, Tom.

Of course its just the opposite here.  It's much more difficult to stand over a boiling kettle in the summer when it is 90 degrees out, so winter is brewing season in Florida.

Oddly enough, the 90 degree days in Minnesota are when we do the most outdoor brewing.
Temperatures here swing from roughly 100F in the height of summer to -50F (sometimes colder) in the dead of winter.
It's a harsh place to live, but I wouldn't choose to live anywhere else.

Hawaii's just so damn expensive!
 :D
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 01:49:43 PM by Kit B »
-    Head Cook & Bottle Washer    -
-      Bottineau Prairie Brewing      -

FBDU: Prairie & Northwoods Mobile Superintendant

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2011, 02:20:59 PM »
You were making one gallon batches? Our had a one gallon mash run?
Sorry, I'm not sure what you're asking :)  But yes, I've done some one gallon batches.

You can get a hose adapter and run the hose out a window to wherever you are brewing...

From the output of the chiller?  I'd have to find a place to dump it or you could run a hose from the output to the sewer.  Depends on where you live.  Maybe there would be no place, in which case it's a bad idea. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Online hopfenundmalz

• Milford, MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2011, 02:24:12 PM »
The problem with a snow bank is that snow has a lot of air depending on the type of snow (good insulation for igloos), and once it melts away from the kettle, you just have ambient air to transfer the heat to.  If it is around freezing, this can take a while, as I remember from back in the early 90's when I tried that.

The pond pump recirculating the snow water mixture is much faster.  One does have to shovel a fair amount of snow into the water to get down to lager temps.  Here in Michigan we often have more than enough snow for the task.  
Jeff Rankert
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild, AHA Member, BJCP Certified
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2011, 02:25:14 PM »
It's a harsh place to live, but I wouldn't choose to live anywhere else.

Hawaii's just so damn expensive!
 :D

Heh, heh, heh.  We like for people to believe that.

People like what they know.  I mean, people LOVE New Jersey.  What's up with that?!    ???

(full disclosure, my wife is a Jersey Tomata)
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline morticaixavier

• Davis, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2011, 02:26:33 PM »

[

oh come on! who doesn't want a skating rink right outside the brewery? brew a little, drink a little skate a little right? it's even better if it's your driveway! then you can skate in your car! you didn't really need that garage door right? waiting for it to open, waiting for it close what a bummer! ;D

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
  • Kit B - Bottineau Prairie, MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2011, 02:58:27 PM »
oh come on! who doesn't want a skating rink right outside the brewery? brew a little, drink a little skate a little right? it's even better if it's your driveway! then you can skate in your car! you didn't really need that garage door right? waiting for it to open, waiting for it close what a bummer! ;D

My driveway is on a slight incline & one winter morning, I woke up to find that my Pathfinder had slid down my icy driveway & stopped with the rear bumper hanging just beyond the curb.
I now salt my driveway, whenever I expect things to ice up.

Heh, heh, heh.  We like for people to believe that.

People like what they know.  I mean, people LOVE New Jersey.  What's up with that?!    ???

(full disclosure, my wife is a Jersey Tomata)

I wasn't aware that anyone liked NJ.

I like Minnesota's lakes & wilderness.
Maine, New York, Wisconsin & Michigan might be adequate replacements.
But, Midwest Supplies is based, here.

The problem with a snow bank is that snow has a lot of air depending on the type of snow (good insulation for igloos), and once it melts away from the kettle, you just have ambient air to transfer the heat to.  If it is around freezing, this can take a while, as I remember from back in the early 90's when I tried that.

The pond pump recirculating the snow water mixture is much faster.  One does have to shovel a fair amount of snow into the water to get down to lager temps.  Here in Michigan we often have more than enough snow for the task.  

When I used to chill with snow, I made sure it was tightly packed against the sides of my kettle, several times throughout the cooling process...But, you're right...Takes for-freakin'-ever!
...Better to make a slush bath in the kitchen sink or laundry tub.
-    Head Cook & Bottle Washer    -
-      Bottineau Prairie Brewing      -

FBDU: Prairie & Northwoods Mobile Superintendant

Offline ckpash88

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2011, 05:34:08 PM »

I built a 1-gallon setup for doing some little batches, it was cheap and easy.  I use a 2 gallon round cooler as a mash tun.  I think for an average gravity beer, mash tun volume can equal batch size and you'll be fine.  A 2 gallon cooler will probably be fine for a 2.5 gallon batch too.

Was the batch size you were making 1 gallon batches and your mash tun was a 2 gallon round cooler

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2011, 05:47:49 PM »

Was the batch size you were making 1 gallon batches and your mash tun was a 2 gallon round cooler

Sorry, it was this that I didn't understand "Our had a one gallon mash run?" ;D

Yes, I use a two gallon cooler for making 1 gallon batches, mostly because the 2 gallon cooler was cheap and was the smallest cooler I could find with a spigot already in the bottom.  It looks like this, except it's blue :)  It works well enough for me for test batches.  I think it will give you enough capacity for moderate gravity 2.5 gallon batches, it will easily fit 5 lbs of grain. 

http://www.target.com/p/Igloo-Legend-cooler-Red-2-Gallon/-/A-11905596#
Tom Schmidlin

Offline ckpash88

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2011, 10:04:39 PM »
Yeah I post from my iPhone so autocorrect changed tun to run. Little confusion there.