Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Monitoring temperature  (Read 1498 times)

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
Monitoring temperature
« on: November 03, 2011, 08:39:10 am »
Would you put a thermometer in the wort as it ferments or let it hang above the wort as it ferments?  Is this the best way to get an accurate idea of fermentation temperature? 
Homebrewed since 2010

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Monitoring temperature
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 08:40:29 am »
Would you put a thermometer in the wort as it ferments or let it hang above the wort as it ferments?  Is this the best way to get an accurate idea of fermentation temperature? 

You can get a thermowell that holds the thermo in the middle of the fermenting beer and that will be very accurate (assuming the thermo is accurate) you can also use the stick on thermo strips and they also seem pretty accurate.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline James Lorden

• Brewer
  • Forest Hill, MD
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 10:41:22 am »
put the thermometers probe on the side of the fermenter and cover it with either styrofoam or a wad of bubble wrap and tape it to attach.  The temperature on the side will be remarkably close to the temperature in the center of the fermenter.  Dangling is not a good option because fermentation is an exothermic reaction which releases heat.  The air temperature surrounding the fermenter and the beer temperature at high krausen can be dramatically different.
James Lorden
Beer Drinker Beer Maker & Beer Judge

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 11:08:52 am »
put the thermometers probe on the side of the fermenter and cover it with either styrofoam or a wad of bubble wrap and tape it to attach.  The temperature on the side will be remarkably close to the temperature in the center of the fermenter.  Dangling is not a good option because fermentation is an exothermic reaction which releases heat.  The air temperature surrounding the fermenter and the beer temperature at high krausen can be dramatically different.

Great, thanks.  I didn't want to use the stick on on because I will be using a swamp cooler and will be unable to see it. 
Homebrewed since 2010

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 11:11:53 am »

Great, thanks.  I didn't want to use the stick on on because I will be using a swamp cooler and will be unable to see it. 

ahh yes, not only unable to see it but if you submerge those stick on kinds they stop working. I have no idea why but after a little while under water they start reading all over the spectrum at the same time.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce