Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dryhopping in Conical  (Read 6667 times)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: Dryhopping in Conical
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2011, 03:25:56 pm »
According to Denny...he uses a Bazooka T on his outlet tube that keeps whole hops strained without clogging in his kettle. Based on that, it should work in a conical. I wouldn't want to risk it without trying it on a smaller scale, but I can't imagine why it wouldn't work.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 03:30:54 pm by bluesman »
Ron Price

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2011, 03:27:55 pm »
According to Denny...he uses a Bazooka T on his outlet tube that keeps whole hops strained without clogging in his kettle. Based on that, it should work in a conical. I wouldn't want to risk it without trying, but I can't imagine why it wouldn't work.

Perhaps I might email John.

Maybe I will try it.  The worst thing I can foresee happening is that I'll have to rack with my cane the 'old fashioned way".

The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2011, 03:32:04 pm »

Perhaps I might email John.

Maybe I will try it.  The worst thing I can foresee happening is that I'll have to rack with my cane the 'old fashioned way".

Great idea! John should be able to shed some light on this topic.
Ron Price

Offline blatz

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2011, 03:41:39 pm »
email sent - will see what he says.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Offline beer_crafter

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2011, 08:26:12 am »
I think your biggest difficulty might be keeping the sure screen on the pickup.  If you use some sort of clamp, make sure it's good and sanitized.  I'd be tempted to boil both the sure screen and the clamp.

Offline blatz

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2011, 08:30:33 am »
got a reply from John - he thought the surescreen would be a PITA and said to just stick with bags.

I think your biggest difficulty might be keeping the sure screen on the pickup.  If you use some sort of clamp, make sure it's good and sanitized.  I'd be tempted to boil both the sure screen and the clamp.

I thought about it  some more last night - you are right on, but on top of that, I am wondering if the yeast slurry would plug the screen.  I'll have to think about this more before attempting.

Offline blatz

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2011, 08:07:02 am »
Hey Paul,  I dry hopped a few times in the conical (pellets & woman's nylon) but I found by the time I got to the 2nd keg it had lost some of the dry hops aroma. I now dry hop exclusively in the keg (pellets & woman's nylon). A week before the keg is to go into the Kegerator it gets dry hopped. Then I just leave them in the keg until it blows. YMMV.  Cheers!!!

well...as an update, I'm not too satisfied with the hop aroma in the second keg of this beer, so I guess I'll go back to the ole tried and true keg hopping - hopefully the grassy vegetal character my last batch picked up was merely an aberration - the 3-4 years prior that I had been doing this never gave me these problems. 

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2011, 08:29:00 am »
Hey Paul,  I dry hopped a few times in the conical (pellets & woman's nylon) but I found by the time I got to the 2nd keg it had lost some of the dry hops aroma. I now dry hop exclusively in the keg (pellets & woman's nylon). A week before the keg is to go into the Kegerator it gets dry hopped. Then I just leave them in the keg until it blows. YMMV.  Cheers!!!

well...as an update, I'm not too satisfied with the hop aroma in the second keg of this beer, so I guess I'll go back to the ole tried and true keg hopping - hopefully the grassy vegetal character my last batch picked up was merely an aberration - the 3-4 years prior that I had been doing this never gave me these problems. 

If you want to rejuvenate it you could warm the keg up to room temp & dry hop it for a week or so & then back into the kegerator? Just a thought.  Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!