Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First Lager - Temp Advice  (Read 4637 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: First Lager - Temp Advice
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2011, 12:28:28 am »
Since talking about lagering for some reason my fridge with j control won't go below 48 degrees even though it was working just fine last week. Will I be alright if I lager at 48 degrees?

You need to be at 38 degrees at least or the yeast will not drop out (or it will take forever). You won't get the cold conditioning benefits at 48 degrees. Sounds like your compressor in said fridge is dying, probably not the controller. Once it starts to go it will probably go all the way bad in a short time.

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2011, 12:51:57 am »
+1. "Lagering" by definition happens at near freezing temperatures. 48F is not near freezing.
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2011, 05:56:35 am »
+1. "Lagering" by definition happens at near freezing temperatures. 48F is not near freezing.

That is what I do.  Get it down to < or =35F.  Take it down 2 to 3 degrees per day.  Duration is at least one week for every .008 (2 Plato) of gravity.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2011, 06:10:20 am »
The only real reason to take the temp down so slow is to keep the yeast working cleaning up the beer. If you do a "forced maturation" or d-rest then the slow cooling toward lagering temps really isn't beneficial. At that point you can just crash cool.

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2011, 06:18:43 am »
The only real reason to take the temp down so slow is to keep the yeast working cleaning up the beer. If you do a "forced maturation" or d-rest then the slow cooling toward lagering temps really isn't beneficial. At that point you can just crash cool.

I agree. A couple of days at room temperature and then crash. Works for me and I don't have to remember to mess with a thermostat every day.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2011, 08:00:41 am »
A month at 48F and then transfer to keg or bottle (if bottle, then 2 weeks at room temperature) then drop it down to cold temperatures (you don't have to go to 32F for a good lagering).  I like to keep it in the keg for 2-3 weeks cold before serving.  The last week is under CO2 pressure.

Works for me. :-*
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline jimrod

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2011, 06:36:36 pm »
Take out or bypass the analog thermostat in your fridge. Use only the Johnson controller.   A lot of small refrigerators only get 40-42 degrees. Also move it away from the wall, sometimes the lack of air circulation makes the compressor overheat and shut off.
The liver is evil and must be punished