Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Let's see some dunkel recipes  (Read 46548 times)

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
Re: Let's see some dunkel recipes
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2010, 12:23:56 pm »
I just checked the results with this calculator

http://leebrewery.com/beermath.htm

12.8% starting extract is 1.0518 sg
to get 5.0% abv I need an FG of 3.47% or 1.0136 sg

This is an attenuation of only 73% which is surprisingly low for an Export.

Paulaner Dunkel has a starting gravity of 12.4% and an ABV of 5.3%

The attenuation is 80% and the final extract is 2.5% (1.010).

This is quite surprising since Denny considers Ayinger Dunkel drier. I haven’t had the Ayiner Dunkel in a long time. Looks like I have to get a bottle and see for myself.

Kai

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2010, 12:26:08 pm »
I can't recall if I've ever had a Paulaner dunkel....guess it's time for a trip to the local good beer store!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2010, 12:41:05 pm »
No kidding.....as I said, Ayinger is my personal "Holy Grail".  Guess I'd better look at the website!

+1

I just had a bottle of their Celebrator Dopplebock... the one with the little charm hanging from the neck.. An outstanding beer.

I would like to brew a Dunkel someday. Here's what Michael Jasckson had to say about Ayinger's Altbairish Dark.

"Beer International, the Ayinger Dunkel Altbairisch aptly as follows:" A good example of its kind, almost impenetrable dark brown with gold shimmer, if it holds up against the light, and with warm aroma, malty flavor and reminiscent of coffee aftertaste. Gebraut wird es aus fünferlei Malzen – zwei davon dunkel gedarrt - und es wird nur leicht gehopft.“ Hergestellt wird es im traditionellen Zwei-Maisch-Verfahren. It is brewed from five kinds of malts - two of them gedarrt dark - and it is only lightly hopped. "It is produced in the traditional two-mash process.

I'm going to see if I can pick up a bottle of this beer.

Ron Price

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2010, 09:20:11 pm »
I just brew Kai's Dunkel recipe.
It is in fermenter now.
I used Globe Dark Munich 12L.
By the way Wayermann does not have 15L Munich malt any more.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2010, 11:27:32 pm »

Where did you see that. Their website still lists Munich type I and II. Type II is the dark one.

Kai

Offline NorthernIke

• Cellarman
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2010, 07:09:36 am »
I just brewed a dunkel that is in the fermentor now.  My grist was:

93% Best Munich I
5% CaraAroma
2% Pale Chocolate (for some color)

Gravity into the fermentor of 1.051.  I brewed this with the hockhurz (sp?) double decoction.  My hope was that the long maltose rest (145°F) would help maximize the enzymatic activity and produce a more fermentable wort.

I will let you all know how it turns out once I keg it up in a few weeks.

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2010, 12:05:19 pm »
Mine was all Best Munich with enough Carafa II to get the color right.
Should be ready in about a month, by then it will have lagered 6+ weeks

Kai, are you doing the Oktoberfest/Marzen brew again?
Remind me to grab some of those cardboard cones before the February meeting

Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2010, 01:06:47 pm »

Where did you see that. Their website still lists Munich type I and II. Type II is the dark one.

Kai
Yes they do have Dark Munich but it is 8.1 - 9.9L
http://www.weyermannmalt.com/eng/produkte.asp?PN=2&idkat=15&umenue=yes&idmenue=37&sprache=2

Dark Munich use to be 15L.
Not sure why they do not have it anymore.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2010, 01:31:40 pm »
Yes they do have Dark Munich but it is 8.1 - 9.9L
http://www.weyermannmalt.com/eng/produkte.asp?PN=2&idkat=15&umenue=yes&idmenue=37&sprache=2

Dark Munich used to be 15L.
Not sure why they do not have it anymore.

I don’t know. 15L is about 40 EBC which seems to be the upper end of color for Munich malt. I tried to find the color for BestMalz dark Munich but wasn’t able to. Maybe the lower color of the Weyermann dark Munich malt is the reason why it is ezymatically so much stronger than BestMalz dark Munich.

Kai

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2010, 02:47:58 pm »
According to North Country Malt (http://www.northcountrymalt.com/pages.php?pageid=28), Best dark Munich is 9-12L.  I just got done milling some and it looked darker than either Durst or Weyermann.

BTW, I changed things a bit when it came to milling....I used 9 lb. Best Munich II, 2 lb. Best pils, .5 lb. Weyermann CaraMunich, and 2 oz. carafa.  Gonna dig through the hop freezer this afternoon and decide on what hops to use.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2010, 02:54:06 pm »
Gonna dig through the hop freezer this afternoon and decide on what hops to use.

no columbus!
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2010, 03:05:07 pm »
Gonna dig through the hop freezer this afternoon and decide on what hops to use.

no columbus!

Killjoy!!!  ;)

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2010, 04:27:13 pm »
Some more food for thought.

If we look closely at receipes for Dunkel and Schwarzbier a distinct similarity will be apparent:

- both tend to use Pils, Munich, dark crystal and roast malt
- both are malt dominated

The difference, as I see it, is that the Dunkel takes most of its character from the Munich malt while the Schwarzbier is more dominated by the crystal and/or roasted malt. The latter may also have a thinner mounthfeel though the Dunkels I had were far from having a thick and creamy mouthfeel.

I find this distinction important as I do want to develop a Schwarzbier and a Dunkel recipe that are distinctly different beers even if the types of malt used in the grist are strikingly similar.

Another good analogy is the difference between Helles and Pilsner. Same grist and similar hops. The Helles focuses on the malt but can still have a hint of hop aroma and taste while the Pils focuses on the hops. The range of bitterness found in Germany for both styles actually overlaps quite a bit. There are Helles beers that more bitter  than some Pilsner beers.

Kai

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2010, 09:40:43 am »
I readily admit that m favorite alt recipes aren't necessarily true to style, but they closely resemble the grist bill for dunkels that I've seen.   It's interesting how recipes that are so close, like the schwarz/dunkel or pils/helles you mention, can be so different with minor changes.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2010, 09:45:58 am »

I find this distinction important as I do want to develop a Schwarzbier and a Dunkel recipe that are distinctly different beers even if the types of malt used in the grist are strikingly similar.

funny - I noticed the same thing and in my efforts to make my schwarz distinct, I wound up increasing the dark roast malts to the point that I ended up with what my buddy calls Schwarter (I just call it Black Dog Lager  ;) ), but I like it so much, I no longer care that its out of style. 
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281