Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Let's see some dunkel recipes  (Read 46546 times)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: Let's see some dunkel recipes
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2010, 10:37:37 am »
The biggest differences that I can see as far as style guidelines go is that the Schwarzbier balances roasted yet smooth malt flavors with moderate hop bitterness.

Whereas the Munich Dunkel expresses the depth of the Munich malt and melanoidins, but not as intense as a Bock or as roasted as a Schwarty.
Ron Price

Offline beer_crafter

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2010, 07:03:53 pm »
I use a lighter Munich (Weyermann Munich I) without any Pils.
91.25% Munich I
5% Caramunich
3.75% Carafa Special II
I tend to use "american noble" type hops-- Liberty, Mt Hood,  or Vanguard.

Offline hampshirebrewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2010, 01:20:00 pm »
So many dunkel recipes, so little time.

I used 9 lb Weyermann Munich (the lighter one), 1 lb Weyermann Pils and 1/4 lb Carafa II.

I decocted 1 gallon of the mash after dough in at 95F with a 30-minute boil after a 15 minute rest at 155F.

I stove top mash and fly sparge.

There's got to be a way to use a decoction to add in to a batch sparge. Complicated but possibly worth it. Watching the decoction darken was entertaining.

Hopefully I'll have a dunkel that can compete with the Schwarzbiers this spring...
Bottled: Little Mac 60/-; Kipling Pale Ale Clone
Fermenting: 1914 Courage Imperial Stout
On Deck: Bohemian Pilsner, American Pale Ale

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2010, 02:17:19 pm »
There's got to be a way to use a decoction to add in to a batch sparge. Complicated but possibly worth it. Watching the decoction darken was entertaining.

Sure there is....batch sparging has nothing to do with how you conduct your mash.  I've done decoctions more than a few times, but seldom do these days as I have real questions about what they supposedly add to a beer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2010, 10:15:52 am »
Wow, I love dunkel and I've wanted to try making one for over a year now so this thread is great!  Its too cold here to ferment in the brew shed yet and I don't have enough room in the house or a place I can keep the temperature around 45* (without my wife complaining  :D ) so I'll have to wait a month or so probably to make a lager.  Which yeast is best yeast for it?  I like Warsteiner it has a very smooth mouthfeel to it.   

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2010, 10:48:08 am »
I really like WY2206 for dunkel.  Very clean, leaves a nice mouthfeel, and easy to work with in terms of seldom needing a d rest.  I used the Wyeast Staro Prague (2782?) on my most recent batch because that's what I could get on the schedule I needed it.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2010, 10:49:32 am »
Denny...did you brew the Dunkel yet?
Ron Price

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2010, 11:10:57 am »
Yep, last Sun.  It went smoothly.  I was aiming for 5.5 gal. of 1.054 and got 6 gal. of 1.057.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2010, 11:29:24 am »

Sure there is....batch sparging has nothing to do with how you conduct your mash.  I've done decoctions more than a few times, but seldom do these days as I have real questions about what they supposedly add to a beer.

+1. I used to do decoctions all the time with batch sparging. There's no real difference between pulling decoctions with fly sparging and/or batch sparging. What makes you think there is?

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2010, 11:29:51 am »
Yep, last Sun.  It went smoothly.  I was aiming for 5.5 gal. of 1.054 and got 6 gal. of 1.057.

Nice.

What grain bill did you end up using?
Ron Price

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2010, 11:39:32 am »
9 lb. Best Munich II
2 lb. Best pils
.5 lb. CaraMunich 40
2 oz. carafa

sure looked and smelled good when I took the OG!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2010, 07:21:33 am »
Wow, I love dunkel and I've wanted to try making one for over a year now so this thread is great!  Its too cold here to ferment in the brew shed yet and I don't have enough room in the house or a place I can keep the temperature around 45* (without my wife complaining  :D ) so I'll have to wait a month or so probably to make a lager.  Which yeast is best yeast for it?  I like Warsteiner it has a very smooth mouthfeel to it.   

Try an aquarium heater.
I use one in a swamp "cooler" in my basement with Winters icy grip upon us.

Was using an old one from a fish tank we had but it crapped out. Wal-Mart had a nice short one that works perfect.
Make sure to get one large enough. They size them according to how many gallons they can heat. Mine is a 15-30 gallon heater, works great.

You'll want a temperature controller because almost all the new aquarium heaters I saw have a built in thermostat to keep the water at 76-78 degrees.

Its also nice to have one for Belgian styles so you can ramp temps up as fermentation moves along.
Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead

Offline beer_crafter

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2010, 08:16:16 am »
I use a lighter Munich (Weyermann Munich I) without any Pils.
91.25% Munich I
5% Caramunich
3.75% Carafa Special II
I tend to use "american noble" type hops-- Liberty, Mt Hood,  or Vanguard.

FYI after brewing this again, I think 3+% is too much Carafa Special.

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2010, 08:18:11 am »
FYI after brewing this again, I think 3+% is too much Carafa Special.

You may have a good Schwarzbier on your hand if the Munich is not coming through too strong.

Kai

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2010, 09:54:26 am »
Mine just passed 3 weeks in primary and I'm  about to give it a "whether it needs it or not" d rest.  I'll xfer it by this weekend, so then I'll have an idea how it tastes.

www.dennybrew.com