Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Let's see some dunkel recipes  (Read 46809 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Let's see some dunkel recipes
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2010, 11:54:05 am »
Update....I moved the dunkel into the house for a d rest yesterday (even though I didn't taste any diacetyl) and filled a PET bottle, carbed and chilled it for a sample.  Even at this early stage, I was blown away by how well this one turned out.  Thanks everybody for your tips and thoughts.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jwatkins56550

• Cellarman
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2010, 09:29:36 pm »
I love dunkel's...and am really thinking of making another one soon.  Everytime, I've just used munich malt.  This time, I think I'll add a little pilsner in there to help it finish a little lower..hope your beer turns out good!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2010, 09:37:39 am »
hope your beer turns out good!

It turned out to be the best dunkel I've ever made!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2010, 09:52:23 am »

well you did use Best.   :D
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Beertracker

• Brewer
  • ExperiFermenting since 1994!
    • Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2010, 09:53:20 am »
That's great!  I'm planning on kegging mine this weekend. I wasn't to certain about using the Urquell strain for a dark, but my initial assessment is +thumbs up.  8)
CHEERS! Jeff
"A homebrewed beer is truly a superior beer." ~ "Buffalo" Bill Owens - American Brewer

Jeffrey Swearengin
Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
Tulsa, OK USA

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2010, 10:12:23 am »

well you did use Best.   :D

Yeah, I'm seriously impressed by the malt flavor.  I can't recall the yeast off the top of my head, but it was one of the Wyeast VSS a couple months back...pretty sure it wasn't the HellaBock.  I'm gonna have to check my notes, cause it's a great yeast!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline blatz

« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2010, 11:59:40 am »
we told you Best was the shiz-nit!

I won a sack of cargill german pils last spring, made a german pils with it and all my beer friends asked me "What happened to the malt flavor on this batch?"  nothing different, just inferior raw material!
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2010, 12:54:31 pm »
Alright...That does it...I am going to get some Best and give this beer a try. It's a done deal. It's officially on the list!

Has anyone tried a German Pils with Best. Don't all answer at once now. Anyway how does it compare to Weyermann?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 12:56:28 pm by bluesman »
Ron Price

Offline blatz

« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2010, 01:02:40 pm »
Has anyone tried a German Pils with Best. Don't all answer at once now. Anyway how does it compare to Weyermann?

I think you know my answer - i make about 2-3 pils batches a year, and 2-3 dorts.   I used to be a Weyermann man, but Best takes the gold by many strides.  

oh yeah -- you wanted to know how it compares?  a little more malt candy sweetness (you have to taste it to know what I mean), and the pils malt aroma just seems to be bigger - like it jumps out of the glass and smacks you in the face.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 01:06:52 pm by blatz »

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2010, 01:19:54 pm »
I couldn't say that Best is "sweeter" than Weyermann, but my perception is that it has more flavor.  Like Paul, I was pretty much a Weyermann guy until I tried Best.

BTW, this was the yeast I used...

Wyeast 2782-PC Staro Prague Lager Yeast

Beer Styles: Bohemian Pilsner, Munich Helles, Vienna Lager, Oktoberfest/Marzen, Munich Dunkel, Schwarzbier, Traditional Bock, Maibock/Hellesbock, Dopplebock, Eisbock
Profile: This yeast will help create medium to full body lagers with moderate fruit and bready malt flavors. The balance is slightly toward malt sweetness and will benefit from additional hop bittering. A fantastic strain for producing classic Bohemian lagers.
Alc. Tolerance 11% ABV  
Flocculation     medium
Attenuation       70-74%              
Temp. Range   50-58°F (10-14°C)

www.dennybrew.com

Offline blatz

« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2010, 01:41:05 pm »
let me clarify that a bit - its not 'sweeter' its got what ryan described, and I think fits well, more of a malt candy like flavor.    I guess its just more malt flavor, if you wanted to be simpler. 

its one of those flavors that is hard to accurately describe, but you'll know it when you taste it.

Offline Beertracker

• Brewer
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2010, 06:41:03 pm »
You guys are killing me with this Best Malz being the "Shiz-nit" stuff, as I'm sitting on 110# of Best Pils but I promised myself I wouldn't open the bags until I finish my last sack of Weyermann. It looks like an Imperial Pils is coming up soon!  :D
CHEERS! Jeff
"A homebrewed beer is truly a superior beer." ~ "Buffalo" Bill Owens - American Brewer

Jeffrey Swearengin
Tulsa, OK USA

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2010, 06:48:10 pm »
Dude, I had open bags of both Durst and Weyermann, but I dove into the Best as soon as I got it!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Beertracker

• Brewer
« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2010, 10:23:51 am »
Dude, I had open bags of both Durst and Weyermann, but I dove into the Best as soon as I got it!

I wish I had your care free, counterculture mentality!   8)
CHEERS! Jeff

Jeffrey Swearengin
Tulsa, OK USA

Offline blatz

« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2010, 11:29:47 am »

I wish I had your care free, counterculture mentality!   8)

Beertracker - perhaps you could blend the two?