Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Flaked Oats vs. Old Fashioned Oats  (Read 30122 times)

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
Flaked Oats vs. Old Fashioned Oats
« on: November 04, 2011, 06:05:18 pm »
I plan on making my first Oatmeal Stout tomorrow and my LHBS was out of Flaked Oats.  Can I just use Old Fashioned Oats and get the same results?  Also, should I just add them in the mash?
Dan Chisholm

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
Re: Flaked Oats vs. Old Fashioned Oats
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 06:20:36 pm »
Yes, add them to the mash. Beware of stuck sparges, tho, I recommend using some rice hulls to ameliorate this problem. I use 1 to 1 1/2 lbs of oats in my stouts, and add 1/4 lb of rice hulls.  I usually used quick oats, or rolled oats, though flaked is good too. Just depends on whats available to me. They have all come out good.
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 06:27:02 pm »
Yep, just go to the grocery store and get the good ole Quaker Oats (the 5 or the 10 minute kind, not the instant).  Usually comes in those 18 oz containers.  I use the entire container in my Oatmeal Stouts.
Joe

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 06:30:57 pm »
Yes, add them to the mash. Beware of stuck sparges, tho, I recommend using some rice hulls to ameliorate this problem. I use 1 to 1 1/2 lbs of oats in my stouts, and add 1/4 lb of rice hulls.  I usually used quick oats, or rolled oats, though flaked is good too. Just depends on whats available to me. They have all come out good.
That's exactly what I was thinking and I was staring at the rice hulls - got distracted and forgot to buy them.  I have used rye quite a bit and have never had a stuck sparge, so maybe I'll be OK.
Dan Chisholm

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 07:10:26 pm »
You could also condition your grain with a little water before grinding to help loosen up the mash a bit.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 07:55:52 pm »
I've read/heard that you should toast the oats before mashing them.  I forgot to do that a couple weeks ago, but plan to next time.

So I can't give you a first hand report, but it's supposed to bring out the flavor.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 06:39:07 am »
I've read/heard that you should toast the oats before mashing them.  I forgot to do that a couple weeks ago, but plan to next time.

So I can't give you a first hand report, but it's supposed to bring out the flavor.
I've always been curious to see how much flavor you get from toasting the oats, so I tried it on a stout I made a couple weeks ago. It's going into a keg tonight, so I'll report back once it's carbed. I used the Quaker oats and toasted them at 325 for just over an hour, until they were a golden brown.
Mark Gres

Offline blizzard

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 10:06:17 pm »
I've always been curious to see how much flavor you get from toasting the oats, so I tried it on a stout I made a couple weeks ago. It's going into a keg tonight, so I'll report back once it's carbed. I used the Quaker oats and toasted them at 325 for just over an hour, until they were a golden brown.

I'm curious to see what you think.

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 01:36:11 pm »

I'm curious to see what you think.
So the results are in... The toasted oat flavor definitely comes through in the finished beer. I used a pound of oats, and tasted them before they went in the mash so I'd know what to look for later on. They give a slightly sweet, nutty kind of flavor to the beer. It's a nice complementary flavor in a stout.
Mark Gres

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 01:57:20 pm »
I toasted oats and entered a competition and judges noted the toasty/nutty oat flavor.

I always use Quaker and never buy flaked oats from the homebrew shop. I use 'Old Fashioned', not instant or quick. Of course, that's also what I use to make oatmeal.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2011, 02:55:37 pm »
I use Quick Oats for my recipes that require oats. They are are broken into smaller pieces and are more readily dissolved in water. No cooking is required for quick oats, just toss them in the mash.

Here's a good article on oats.

http://www.byo.com/stories/beer-styles/article/indices/11-beer-styles/1194-oatmeal-stout-style
Ron Price

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2011, 03:04:39 pm »
That may be the very article that got me to first brew a stout with oats.  It's the right time period and the right magazine.

As far as I'm aware, old fashioned oats are also pre-gelatinized and do not require cooking before adding them to the mash.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2011, 04:06:47 pm »
That may be the very article that got me to first brew a stout with oats.  It's the right time period and the right magazine.

As far as I'm aware, old fashioned oats are also pre-gelatinized and do not require cooking before adding them to the mash.

you are correct. When oats are rolled they are first steamed which gelatinizes the starch. You would have to do a cereal mash if you wanted to use whole oat groats or steel cut (pinhead) oats. but with malted or rolled oats of anykind you can just mash as usual.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2011, 07:01:30 pm »
I am tasting this Oatmeal Stout today from the keg and I have to say that this is probably the smoothest stout that I have ever made.  I used 1.25 lbs of Old Fashioned Quaker Oats and I had no ploblem with the sparge.  I think I might up the amount of oats next time and try the toasting method.
Dan Chisholm

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2011, 07:50:34 pm »
I am tasting this Oatmeal Stout today from the keg and I have to say that this is probably the smoothest stout that I have ever made.  I used 1.25 lbs of Old Fashioned Quaker Oats and I had no ploblem with the sparge.  I think I might up the amount of oats next time and try the toasting method.
I buy the 9 pound boxes of oatmeal at Sam's Club and use one of the 2 bags(4.5 pounds each) in a 10 gallon batch so I'm using 2.25 pounds of oatmeal per 5 gallon batch. It gives the wort a nice viscous texture that thins out after a 90 minute boil, and it does make a silky smooth beer.  And I'm sure it's great for my health, a bowl of oatmeal in every glass.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico