Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Glass rinsing & cleaning  (Read 1923 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Glass rinsing & cleaning
« on: November 13, 2011, 01:17:38 am »
I have an ample amount of varying glassware. Hell that case of nonic glasses ought to last another 20 years or more...

But, on a good evening of sampling I can burn through the different types pretty quickly and fill the top rack of the DW. Usually though if drinking from the keg I'll use the same glass without rinsing. It's not pretty. :-\ Switch to a different beer get another clean glass of appropriate type. But sometimes I'm lazy and just rinse out the glass I last drank from regardless of what was in it before.

Ideas on this? Additionally at most I'll ever use is vinegar in the "spot rinse" receptacle though usually that sucker is bone dry cause my house water is really soft. Otherwise no soap.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Glass rinsing & cleaning
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 01:21:25 am »
It sounds like you are doing it right. Everything I have read about proper glassware maintenance RE: beer drinking says the automatic dishwasher 'soap' is the only cleaning aid you want to use.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 01:29:50 am »
Two words:  Beer bong!
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 01:34:07 am »
I always buy the "Eco" type of detergent with no perfumes. Though the on sale Electrasol tabs did a number on some of my nonics. Etched Bluish milky streaks in about four of them. So I don't use that product any more despite it being a champ with the dishes.

I'm not convinced however that there is a perfect method without going to extremes. Distilled rainwater rinse maybe? :D
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 01:47:07 am »
Two words:  Beer bong!

LOL that brings back memories!

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 03:02:44 am »
The brewmistress and I stopped by a couple of Goodwills on the way home today with the specific intent of rounding out our glassware on the cheap. We came home with a pair of; nonics, tulips, snifters, short weizens, weizens and thistles. Total cost $15 all etch free and decent glass. She's not a fan of reuse while I will happily return to the tap for the same pour. We've been running our stuff through the DW with a product called 'finish' with no problems. We had to replace a half dozen glasses due to the same etching Euge described not long ago. I'll ask what it was and report back.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 09:33:11 am »
Except for metal decorated glasses, we run them all through the DW with our regular detergent as well as a rinse-aid.  No problems to date.
Brew on

Offline firedog23

• Brewer
  • Just taking it one brew at a time!
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 01:51:22 pm »
Honestly, and I am a beer lover, after a three pints of strong beer, I am less worried about the previous beer leftovers screwing up my next beer.  I like the idea of specific glasses for certain beers but eventually, I am happy to just be drinking good beer.
In the fermenter:

Up coming brews:
First boil in a bag