Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pressure Canning Wort For Starters  (Read 10907 times)

brewboy

Re: Pressure Canning Wort For Starters
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2010, 12:25:49 pm »
Just let it cool properly with the weight on. Only takes a few minutes longer.  Are you really in that big of a hurry?

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2010, 03:48:33 pm »
Just let it cool properly with the weight on. Only takes a few minutes longer.  Are you really in that big of a hurry?

Sorry, looks like I wasn't clear.  When I said no cheating by lifting the weight, I meant that I don't cheat by lifting the weight.  I wait the full time.
Joe

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2010, 07:50:26 pm »
Let's be clear, not everyone pressure cans with a small unit. With an All American Pressure Canner there is no weight. From my page www.ipass.net/mpdixon

It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

brewboy

« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2010, 06:52:45 am »
The other reason to wait is to allow the lids to seal while it's in the canner. If they are brought out while still boiling, then when they cool a small amount of room air may be sucked into them. I imagine this is minimal, but I'd prefer the air remaining in the canner to sucked in rather than outside air.

Maybe I'm being too anal, but I haven't had a spoiled jar yet.

I use a canner similar to Mike's in size, but it still has a pressure weight on it.

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2010, 07:01:18 am »
If you rush the cooling by either placing the pot in cold water or lifting the weight, the wort in the jars is going to boil rather strongly and some of the wort may be pushed out from under the lid. I'm afraid that that would leave a residue around the seal which provides a growth medium for microbes. Not to mention the loos of wort. But I don't know how much it would be. If the steam cannot escape quickly enough the jar may even explode.

Kai