Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Gas Leak  (Read 1510 times)

Offline saintpierre

• Brewer
  • Augusta, ME
    • www.malthomebrewclub.org
Gas Leak
« on: November 06, 2011, 10:55:06 am »
I have been poking around the forum looking for previous posts about tracking down gas leaks and have found lots of useful information (I love this forum) but I am still having some problems. 

Here is a little history...  I purchased a new dual body regulator (with rubber gasket) from B3 and wasn't having any problems until a couple weeks ago when I went to pull a beer it was excessively foamy which made me check the pressure on the regulator.  The high pressure was around 200 psi on a brand new tank and should be around 600-700 psi as I keep my tank outside of the fridge.  I turned the gas off and took the regulator off to check the rubber gasket and it looked rather worn.  I weighed the tank and it weighed about 4 kg and the tank its self weighs 3.5 kg.  So I refilled my CO2 tank and asked my LHBS if they had any replacement gaskets for regulators.  They only had crush washers so I tried that and after another 2 weeks the tank was empty again. 

So long story short I have been trouble shooting my leak today.  So I have been trying to find the leak starting at the tank working out.  I read on another post to use keg leak detector but my LHBS doesn't carry it and I am tired of filling my tank this often.  I have been using starsan to locate my leak and noticed bubbles coming from the little hole on regulator bonnet on the high pressure side of the dual body.

Also not sure if this will help but I turned the tank on, didn't hooked up to any kegs and opened both ball lock valves and the low pressures read 21 and 14 psi of the tank and high pressure gauges, respectively.  I left the pressure on for a hour and didn't see a change in pressure.  This is probably due to the tank being full and able to supply gas.  I then closed the ball locks with gas still on and the gauges read 22 and 14 psi.  I then turned the gas off and left the ball locks closed and the pressures read 20 and 14 psi after two hours. 

I understand this is something I need to come to grips with but I haven't had to track down a leak before so if there is more information you need to help me just ask. 
Mike St. Pierre, P.E.
Maine Ale & Libation Tasters (MALT)
BJCP Certified
[719.4, 74.1] AR

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Gas Leak
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 10:59:15 am »
Leaks area total pain to track down.  One thing though is that according to a guy at one of the local welding gas shops, the tank valve should either be all of the way open or all of the way closed.  If it is in between it won't seal right and the tank will leak.  I don't know if he's right or not, but it's worth considering.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline saintpierre

• Brewer
  • Augusta, ME
    • www.malthomebrewclub.org
Re: Gas Leak
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 11:24:37 am »
Leaks area total pain to track down.  One thing though is that according to a guy at one of the local welding gas shops, the tank valve should either be all of the way open or all of the way closed.  If it is in between it won't seal right and the tank will leak.  I don't know if he's right or not, but it's worth considering.

I keep it all the way open when in use.
Mike St. Pierre, P.E.
Maine Ale & Libation Tasters (MALT)
BJCP Certified
[719.4, 74.1] AR