Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Storage temperature of Ales  (Read 2475 times)

Offline HydraulicSammich

• Assistant Brewer
  • Logan, UT
Storage temperature of Ales
« on: October 28, 2011, 11:18:07 am »
I have a lagering compartment that I would like to share with corny packaged ales lying in the wings for future use.  My question is, are there any negative effects with short or long term storage at 33 to 35 degrees.  Thanks ahead of time.
AHA Member 900001775

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Storage temperature of Ales
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 11:20:50 am »
No it's not going to hurt finished ales to be stored at 34-35 degrees. In fact it will keep them fresher until they are ready to be served. I personally wouldn't serve them at that temp but that's just me.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 11:26:54 am »
No it's not going to hurt finished ales to be stored at 34-35 degrees. In fact it will keep them fresher until they are ready to be served. I personally wouldn't serve them at that temp but that's just me.

+1

Colder is better for the shelf life of the beer.
Ron Price

Offline Gribble

• Assistant Brewer
    • Low Mo Brewing Company
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 02:24:18 pm »
I prefer to keep mine @ serving temp of 38
Low Mo Brewing Company
Industrial Grade Beer Brewed For Professionals

Offline leejoreilly

• Assistant Brewer
  • Washington, MI
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 10:13:36 am »
What about the opposite situation? I have more kegs than cold storage space (kegerator only holds 4, with three taps, external CO2 tank). I have filled and carbed a keg, then moved it out of the kegerator, to make room for a newly-filled keg to carb. I'm storing it in the coolest corner of my basement, which stays in the low to mid 60s this time of year. I don't plan on it staying there for very long before one of my kegs in use kicks and I can move the new one into the active lineup. Does anybody see a problem with this? If so, how long would be too long? Does it make any difference that I'm brewing all ales, no lagers?

Maybe I should just be drinking faster...

Offline Gribble

• Assistant Brewer
    • Low Mo Brewing Company
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 11:50:18 am »
Colder is better for the shelf life of the beer.
Low Mo Brewing Company
Industrial Grade Beer Brewed For Professionals

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 03:24:59 pm »
What about the opposite situation? I have more kegs than cold storage space (kegerator only holds 4, with three taps, external CO2 tank). I have filled and carbed a keg, then moved it out of the kegerator, to make room for a newly-filled keg to carb. I'm storing it in the coolest corner of my basement, which stays in the low to mid 60s this time of year. I don't plan on it staying there for very long before one of my kegs in use kicks and I can move the new one into the active lineup. Does anybody see a problem with this? If so, how long would be too long? Does it make any difference that I'm brewing all ales, no lagers?

It's fine, as long as you are using good beer handling practices it will keep.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 04:52:45 pm »

+1 Been doing it for years. Haven't found out how long is too long, I drink faster...  8)
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 02:03:16 am »

+1 Been doing it for years. Haven't found out how long is too long, I drink faster...  8)

+1 Keep it in rotation and don't let unpasteurized beer get up in the 80's unless it's your intention to do so. Otherwise it's just conditioning no matter what you do...

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 06:42:36 am »
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

+1 Keep it in rotation and don't let unpasteurized beer get up in the 80's unless it's your intention to do so. Otherwise it's just conditioning no matter what you do...
[/quote]

+1 more.  I would rather have my ales ~65-68F so the yeast stays active and they keep conditioning the beer.  I've never had one past 4-5 weeks so I've never had a problem.  If you are using the keg as a secondary and go straight to 34-40F, the yeast will go dormant.
Dave Zach