Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Rush carbing  (Read 2789 times)

Offline DW

• Assistant Brewer
Rush carbing
« on: October 27, 2011, 06:02:27 pm »
Hey guys/gals.  I looked through the last 10 pages regarding my question and wasn't finding an answer even though I know it has been discussed before.  So, I need to serve some kegged brews at a party this saturday.  I'm kegging a saison.  It was put in the keg on Tuesday.  I cooled to 34 overnight and turned the psi up to 25 wednesday evening.  I checked it today and there really is not much carbonation.  I rocked it a bit at about 28 psi today (thursday).  I'm worried this beer will not be ready on saturday evening.  Any thoughts?

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Rush carbing
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 06:07:51 pm »
Turn it to serving pressure.  If you're going to keep it at 34F, that's about 14 psi on the high side.  Leave the gas connected and don't rock it, shake it vigorously for about 10 minutes total, take as many breaks as you need.  It will be pretty well carbed after that, but you can check it and do it some more as needed.

If you leave it at 28psi you'll probably end up with over carbonated beer.  If you leave it at serving pressure you can eliminate that worry.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 07:29:15 pm »
What's the difference between rock or shake?  ;)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 08:08:32 pm »
What's the difference between rock or shake?  ;)
Maybe nothing ;D

I just picture rocking as a gentle back and forth motion, but when I'm force carbing in a hurry I hold the keg at around 45 degrees with the bottom on the floor, crouched over it and shake the top up and down really fast and hard until I either stop hearing gas flowing through the regulator or I need to rest.  Repeat until I no longer hear gas flowing when I shake it.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 12:43:41 am »
My "not in a hurry" method of force carbing is to pressurize at 34F and  35psi for 2 days, then turn back down to serving pressure and vent.

My "in a hurry" is about the same but to shake it for 5 minutes, then let it sit for at least 6 hours before venting an serving.

Both these methods assume the beer in already at 34F.
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 01:02:28 am »
What's the difference between rock or shake?  ;)
Maybe nothing ;D

I just picture rocking as a gentle back and forth motion, but when I'm force carbing in a hurry I hold the keg at around 45 degrees with the bottom on the floor, crouched over it and shake the top up and down really fast and hard until I either stop hearing gas flowing through the regulator or I need to rest.  Repeat until I no longer hear gas flowing when I shake it.

I crouch with the keg in front of me and rock it back and forth vigorously with the pressure set at max on the regulator. It's a pretty violent maneuver. Works better when there is more headspace in the keg.

Shaking is when one picks up the keg and actually shakes it. Extremely effective but probably not a great idea (spine-wise) and something I abandoned years ago. It's done by holding the keg horizontal to the floor and swung side to side.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 01:05:45 am by euge »
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 01:06:01 am »
Works better when there is more headspace in the keg.
Yeah, more splashing if you have more headspace.  Your rocking sounds like my shaking euge, except for the max on the regulator.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 09:06:13 am »
I prefer the shake at serving pressure method. It's much more fool-proof.  Drew Beechum has a nice article on turning beers around quickly  (including carbing) in the latest issue of Zymurgy, or eZymurgy for those electronically-inclined folks.
Mark Gres

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, 09:06:24 am »
Can I just say that I think 34f is WAY to cold for a saison? 34 to me is coor light temps. I generally keep my ales at pretty close to ferm temp (55-60) but that is, I guess, a matter of taste.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline dcbc

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 03:02:44 pm »
I do the 4 minute "shake" at 25--30 psi with a 5--6 hour rest with gas disconnected, then bleed pressure, reconnect gas and set to serving temp. 

My "shake" is to lay the keg on its side with the gas hooked up to the liquid tube and roll the keg back and forth on a carpet with my feet on the rubber bits of the keg while I'm sitting in a chair.

Much easier on the back.
I've consumed all of my home brew and still can't relax!  Now what!

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 05:07:56 pm »
I prefer the shake at serving pressure method. It's much more fool-proof.  Drew Beechum has a nice article on turning beers around quickly  (including carbing) in the latest issue of Zymurgy, or eZymurgy for those electronically-inclined folks.

I used DB's method on my last 2 kegs and it works great.
Dan S. from NJ