Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry hopping a porter  (Read 11975 times)

Offline firedog23

• Brewer
  • Just taking it one brew at a time!
Dry hopping a porter
« on: November 08, 2011, 10:08:38 am »
So i am racking my porter to a secondary fermenter tonight. I am putting 4gallons in one fermenter and a separate 1 gallon batch in another.  I am going to dry hop the 1 gallon batch in the name of science.  I plan on using Willamette and no more than an ounce.  The IBUs right now are 25.5 and the projected ABV is 6.3.

Has anyone done this and if so, any comments or thoughts are much appreciated.  If I lose the gallon I am not to unhappy as I will still have 4 gallons in the other container.

Tim
In the fermenter:

Up coming brews:
First boil in a bag

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Dry hopping a porter
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 10:22:35 am »
sounds like an interesting experiment. The hops might clash a bit with any roastiness in the porter but who know?

I wouldn't bother with a secondary on the other 4 gallons though. But that's just me
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 02:12:46 pm »
Avery New World Porter is one of a few dryhopped porters that comes to mind - should be good, though 1oz/1gal is pretty aggressive.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 02:14:19 pm »
I don't think Williamette hops will clash with the roastiness.  In my experience, I have found that citrusy hops clash with roasted malts and I don't get any citrus flavor from Williamette hops.  
Dan Chisholm

Offline firedog23

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 02:19:32 pm »
Avery New World Porter is one of a few dryhopped porters that comes to mind - should be good, though 1oz/1gal is pretty aggressive.

I was thinking of going with 1/2 an ounce to give it some kick without it being too much.
In the fermenter:

Up coming brews:
First boil in a bag

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 02:35:41 pm »

I was thinking of going with 1/2 an ounce to give it some kick without it being too much.

:) Kick it in the name of science. 

I have not dryhopped with Willamette, but I use a couple ounces real late in my porter. 
IMO, I think the "earthy" thing goes well with porter.   Let us know how it works out.  Science has to be shared.  ;)

Offline firedog23

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 02:37:56 pm »

:) Kick it in the name of science. 

I have not dryhopped with Willamette, but I use a couple ounces real late in my porter. 

IMO, I think the "earthy" thing goes well with porter.   Let us know how it works out.  Science has to be shared.  ;)

Oh I shall report back in December with the first taste, err I mean test...
In the fermenter:

Up coming brews:
First boil in a bag

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 12:58:55 am »
Sounds like a great idea to me.

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 07:09:43 am »
I use Chinook and Columbus for aroma and dry hops in my brown ale and American Stout. Its a great break from the everyday stouts I'm used to at the store/brewpubs. I dry hop with 2oz per 5gal

For the stout - I'll also throw in some Cascade or Centennial (actually a tip gleaned from a GREAT brewpub in town). I don't think it clashes at all.

I say split off a few gallon batches and try different hops, then blend together.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline firedog23

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 03:18:16 pm »
I held off for a week and I am clearing the beer tonight. Good taste and is more of a strong mild than a porter (minimal hop character). I will still be dry hopping a gallon or so.  The hop choice is wide open, or at least what I have on the shelf.  Maybe a nelson savin from New Zealand.
In the fermenter:

Up coming brews:
First boil in a bag

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011, 08:18:32 am »
I don't think Williamette hops will clash with the roastiness.  In my experience, I have found that citrusy hops clash with roasted malts and I don't get any citrus flavor from Williamette hops. 
Sierra Nevada Stout uses Chinook.  That's a pretty good stout.  I think dry hopping a porter is a fantastic idea.  It'd almost black IPA-ish in aroma; that is if you used something like Chinook.
Jesse

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2011, 08:34:57 am »
I don't think Williamette hops will clash with the roastiness.  In my experience, I have found that citrusy hops clash with roasted malts and I don't get any citrus flavor from Williamette hops. 
Sierra Nevada Stout uses Chinook.  That's a pretty good stout.  I think dry hopping a porter is a fantastic idea.  It'd almost black IPA-ish in aroma; that is if you used something like Chinook.

bersk, did you just say Black IPA!!!!
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2011, 08:56:20 am »

Damn it I did.  I gave up.  When one says Black IPA, you know exactly what it refers to.  Whereas American-style black ale sounds silly and forced and you know how I feel about CDA's...haha.
Jesse

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2011, 08:59:10 am »

Damn it I did.  I gave up.  When one says Black IPA, you know exactly what it refers to.  Whereas American-style black ale sounds silly and forced and you know how I feel about CDA's...haha.

I am telling you it's Noonanian Black Ale (NBA). That would never cause any confusion right? "Hey I'm drinking a couple NBA's and watching the ball game. you wanna come over?"
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2011, 09:02:05 am »
"Noonan!  Nnnnnnnnnnnnoooooonan!!!!" 

"Top notch Danny! Top notch!"
Jesse