Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What to do when you can't brew  (Read 4889 times)

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
Re: What to do when you can't brew
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2011, 09:52:20 pm »

Been there, done those tours. While definitely in violation of General Order #1, here's our recipe for some homemade Jack.

Take a standard issue metal trash can or something similar. Clean out for your own sake, but if you have to make do you make do with some "extras" in your recipe. Take all the non-alcholic beer from the DEFAC as possible, pour it all into your trash can and put over a fire. From here there's two techniques, but your best one is to capture the fumes (by any means necessary, every good soldier can improvise this) into another trash can (cleaned out). The other technique is to order some brewers yeast and ferment the non-alcholic beer out and you may need to add some sugar . Take some DEFAC sugar...sugar packets if you have to...and in a tablespoon (also stolen) burn the heck out of it. Add that to your captured distilled liquor. Take some oak cubes, I would just order them from online, and nearly burn them in a flame...throw those in the mix. Add sugar when finished if necessary, but in general you have some make sift Jack Daniels.

We were able to ferment the non-alcholic beer, then distill it, add the burned sugar (which does color) and the burned oak cubes (flavor and color) to the point of it actually tasting like Jack.

Obviously you need to hide the booze from the CO/1SG, or if you're the CO/1SG you'll need to bribe you're other half to keep them quiet ;)

Perfecting this kept me busy for a few months.

Cheers!
Casey

Now THAT is some gonzo whiskey making!  Right on man!  Who says we don't have the best military in the world?!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 09:54:25 pm by punatic »
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2011, 12:13:47 pm »
I am there RIGHT NOW ! And not in Bahrain where I could get a real beer of some kind. I am in Afreakinghanistan.

Casey, you are braver than me. I have just been working out 2 times a day, working on my warfare pin (yes, for some reason they decided to send my sailor butt out here WHERE THERE IS NO WATER!  ???), checking these forums out a lot, and planning my brew sessions for when I get home. I have also planned out a full 4 course beer dinner featuring my beer. I don't smoke so that is not an option.

I already have the first 10 brew sessions planned out.

I should be home for R&R over Christmas and hope to brew a Wheat Wine / Impy Weizenbock. That should age nicely on the second half of my tour. Before I deployed I brewed 10 gallons of Golden Promise Barleywine (1 grain) and 10 gallons of Belgian Barleywine (ala Scaldis Noel) so I am looking forward to drinking some of that over Christmas too.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 12:16:36 pm by snowtiger87 »
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline Wheat_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Bad Bunny Brewing
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2011, 05:47:52 pm »
I am there RIGHT NOW ! And not in Bahrain where I could get a real beer of some kind. I am in Afreakinghanistan.

Casey, you are braver than me. I have just been working out 2 times a day, working on my warfare pin (yes, for some reason they decided to send my sailor butt out here WHERE THERE IS NO WATER!  ???), checking these forums out a lot, and planning my brew sessions for when I get home. I have also planned out a full 4 course beer dinner featuring my beer. I don't smoke so that is not an option.

I already have the first 10 brew sessions planned out.

I should be home for R&R over Christmas and hope to brew a Wheat Wine / Impy Weizenbock. That should age nicely on the second half of my tour. Before I deployed I brewed 10 gallons of Golden Promise Barleywine (1 grain) and 10 gallons of Belgian Barleywine (ala Scaldis Noel) so I am looking forward to drinking some of that over Christmas too.

Thanks for your service!

To make our Navy friends feel a little more at home we built a dunk tank when we hit the rear and ha some dunk the sailor fun  ;D ! It was the closest we could get to making them feel like they were on the water.

I worked out (when in the rear) the same as you at least 90 minutes a day, if not more. Planned out buying a condo and brewing all the beer ingredients I could buy with my saved up money. I actually contacted my LHBS and they had the club brew some beer for my unit's return. That was a welcome worth coming home to!!!! Cheers to you and your service. Enjoy that homebrew when you get home, you and our other veterans out there earned it.

Cheers
Casey
AHA Lifetime Member

Offline sailortodd

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2011, 11:51:41 pm »
I don't know about making any hooch. Especially when I have access to some beer (albeit crappy beer) I will try to stay on the up and up.

Snowtiger, I don't have it half as bad as you. More power to you, being able to survive that without brewing. It's good that you'll be able to try to fit in a batch on your R&R. I have a couple of batches that have been aging while I'm here, and should be prime when I get back. I'm doing more working out here as well, and as much self improvement studying as I can stomach. The pipe helps me unwind and take my mind off all things for 30 min to an hr a day.

Stay safe over there Tiger.
Beer: so much more than just a breakfast drink.

Offline sarsnavy2005

• 1st Kit
  • Carlisle, PA
    • Facebookity
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2011, 06:50:46 am »
Given any thought to partnering up with some of the shore duty folks that still have apartments out in the city?  Between them and the DoD civ contractors with their 6 figure salaries, I'm sure there's someone living out there that has an appreciation for good beer and would be willing to stash a carboy or two in their closet.  Combine that with a couple of "care packages" sent to the ship's address and you shouldn't have too much trouble pulling off an extract/partial brew (offship, of course).
The gov't there has so many internal problems to handle now that that would probably be the last thing to cross their mind.

Stay safe! ;)
[382.7, 109.6]