Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: One advantage of living in the snow belt. Boil to 48 in 35 minutes  (Read 6069 times)

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
Decided to try and fore go the hose today and use all re-circulating water to cool the wort.

After emptying my mash tun (48 qt RED rubbermaid) I rinsed it quick and then filled it with snow/ice
Needed 2 gallons of water to get the pump primed and after that it went smooth.
Used block ice (from a bucket that got filled with rain/snow water)

In 10 minutes I was at 95 degrees
72 @ 18 minutes
68@ 22 minutes
55@ 25 minutes
48@ 35 minutes
Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
Re: One advantage of living in the snow belt. Boil to 48 in 35 minutes
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 10:17:33 pm »
Tell me about it. The nice thing about winter is that
I don't have to start collecingt ice for chilling 3-4 days before brewing.

Kai

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 10:23:10 am »
Having grown up in IA, I know all about snow and cold, and I've gotta say I'll take the rain we have here!  With my nice cold well water and a pump to recirc the wort as I'm chilling, I've been getting from boil to about 50 in 15-20 min.  PLUS, I don't have to shovel rain!  ;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 10:29:28 am »
Having grown up in IA, I know all about snow and cold, and I've gotta say I'll take the rain we have here!  With my nice cold well water and a pump to recirc the wort as I'm chilling, I've been getting from boil to about 50 in 15-20 min.  PLUS, I don't have to shovel rain!  ;)

My main goal was to not run water all over the yard when there is a foot of snow already on it  ;D

I used to run much of my chilling water into our old washing machine.
Cant run much into the new front loader   ;)

Being able to chill with just a little electricity and some snow/ice made me feel very green
I think I'll take the kids for a drive in my big 4 door 4 wheel drive truck this afternoon once I'm done brewing  :P
Jeff

On draught:

Primary:

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 10:41:57 am »
I understand your incentive, man  If I lived where it was cold, I'd likely do the same.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hankus

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 04:41:28 pm »
FYI-In  New Orleans  the air temp- is 55 BUT the hose temp is near 40 which is plenty cold enough

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 08:30:53 pm »
It's a great time of year to brew as far as chilling and fermenting are concerned. It is nice for me to be able to chill from 212 to 60 in about 30 min. as opposed to twice that in the summer. Winter brewing is the best.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 09:58:58 am by bluesman »
Ron Price

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 09:09:21 am »
*stupid question alert*

why are most of you cooling your wort to 60 and below????  brewing lagers????

i brewed my first AG yesterday and it was about 55 outside and the water was probably about the same temp.  it took me about an hour to get from boiling to 78 with a pre-chiller sitting in ice water.....
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 09:50:37 am by deepsouth »
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 09:28:31 am »
*stupid question alert*

why are most of you cooling your wort to 60 and below????  brewing lagers????

i brewed my first AG yesterday and it was about 55 outside and the water was probably about the same temp.  it took me about an hour to get from boiling to 78 with a pre-chiller sitting in ice water.....

To get to a good pitching temperature

Lagers, yes sometimes
Jeff

On draught:

Primary:

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 10:29:26 am »
*stupid question alert*

why are most of you cooling your wort to 60 and below????  brewing lagers????

i brewed my first AG yesterday and it was about 55 outside and the water was probably about the same temp.  it took me about an hour to get from boiling to 78 with a pre-chiller sitting in ice water.....

I prefer to ferment ales in the low to mid 60s.  The exothermic reaction of fermentation adds heat, so I chill to below fermentation temp before pitching.  For ales that means 58-60F, for lagers it's maybe 42-45F.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 10:52:40 am »
*stupid question alert*

i brewed my first AG yesterday and it was about 55 outside and the water was probably about the same temp.  it took me about an hour to get from boiling to 78 with a pre-chiller sitting in ice water.....

I prefer to ferment ales in the low to mid 60s.  The exothermic reaction of fermentation adds heat, so I chill to below fermentation temp before pitching.  For ales that means 58-60F, for lagers it's maybe 42-45F.

we got the wort down to 78 before we racked it and i pitched my starter into, what i would guess, was 75 or so degrees wort and i'm fermenting it in a room with the thermostat set at 62.  i guess i should be ok, no?

AHA# 196703

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 12:40:55 pm »
*stupid question alert*

we got the wort down to 78 before we racked it and i pitched my starter into, what i would guess, was 75 or so degrees wort and i'm fermenting it in a room with the thermostat set at 62.  i guess i should be ok, no?

I generally like to pitch my ales in the low sixties. You should try to get that pitching temp down, otherwise you will get some higher (fusel) alcohols and excessive esters in your beer.

You will make beer. Let us know how it turns out. Good Luck.
Ron Price

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 01:04:17 pm »
*stupid question alert*

I generally like to pitch my ales in the low sixties. You should try to get that pitching temp down, otherwise you will get some higher (fusel) alcohols and excessive esters in your beer.

You will make beer. Let us know how it turns out. Good Luck.

i thought about waiting to pitch the yeast the next day, when the temp would have been i the 60's....  any downside to that?

AHA# 196703

Offline hankus

• Cellarman
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 01:18:01 pm »
Attn Deep south..how ' bout that SEC..Let's drive a stake in the prechiller myth-prechillers do NOT make a real difference but the same ice bath used for the slowly moving wort vs the fast moving coolant DOES work or pumping that same amount of ice bath water through a chiller the last few minutes

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 01:28:50 pm »
i thought about waiting to pitch the yeast the next day, when the temp would have been i the 60's....  any downside to that?

As long as your sanitation is top notch no.

Ever though about a swamp cooler?
A big tub/cooler that you put the carboy in and then add water/ice to get to pitching/fermentation temps.

Jeff

On draught:

Primary: