Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What to do with a 40gal SS kettle?  (Read 3411 times)

Offline cyclejim

• 1st Kit
What to do with a 40gal SS kettle?
« on: January 04, 2010, 10:46:49 pm »
I acquired a 40 gallon SS steam jacketed kettle that I intended to use as a boil kettle or mash tun.  However, I am having a hard time figuring out how to heat it.  It came out of a commercial kitchen that had used a steam generator to heat it.  I don’t have a steam generator and using fire to heat it doesn’t work that well.

It is a beautiful piece of equipment; all stainless with a tilting mechanism and 2” valve in the bottom of the kettle.  It has a lid that fits really nice, though there is no seal on it.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to use it?  If I can’t figure out a good use for it I am afraid I am going to have to let it go.  It is a monster to be sitting in my garage not getting used.

Offline yugamrap

• Brewer
Re: What to do with a 40gal SS kettle?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 06:53:28 am »
It might make a nice fermenter.  Maybe you could rig up some way to pump refrigerated water or glycol through the jacket for temperature control.
...it's liquid bread, it's good for you!

Offline hankus

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 09:23:05 am »
Our club- Crescent City Homebrewers- has a subcell called 6 guys brewing who acquired the same setup and connected the burner to  NG but after awhile gave it away as too big for them...for a single brewer I know NOT what u could do with it..contact your nearest brewclub OR Lion's Club/VFW etc who can make gumbo/chili etc at the community festival and donate it or sell it on Craigslist...it's big benefit of tilting would not help as a fermenter
  FWIW they also had a 50G SS fermenter ringed with a freon coil but when the center was only cool the rim was forming ice so iot went too...too big a footprint
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 09:25:40 am by hankus »

Offline bob

• Conference
  • Cellarman
  • Prez for Life - Yeast Coasters - West Michigan
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 03:23:46 pm »
It might make an interesting mashtun. Pump 165 F water thru the steam jacket until it gets near mash temp then back it off as it reaches equilibrium where you want it.
Bob
Bob

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 05:42:12 pm »
You guys are so one track oriented....

HOT TUB!!!! 

:D :D :D :D
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 09:58:18 am »

HOT TUB!!!! 

I'll say what me and my buddy say whenever we see the homebrew/beer related shirts at festivals etc.

Have you seen a homebrewer?
XL and up and no way most of us are wedging ourselves in a 40 gallon hot tub  ;D
Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 10:00:11 am »
Excellent point that I failed to consider!  ;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 10:19:12 am »
Make KettleKorn !

The moral majority, is neither.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 10:40:29 am »

HOT TUB!!!! 

I'll say what me and my buddy say whenever we see the homebrew/beer related shirts at festivals etc.

Have you seen a homebrewer?
XL and up and no way most of us are wedging ourselves in a 40 gallon hot tub  ;D

Sure you can. But it will be a dry tub after you get in.  ;D
Ron Price