General Category > Equipment and Software

One advantage of living in the snow belt. Boil to 48 in 35 minutes

(1/4) > >>

babalu87:
Decided to try and fore go the hose today and use all re-circulating water to cool the wort.

After emptying my mash tun (48 qt RED rubbermaid) I rinsed it quick and then filled it with snow/ice
Needed 2 gallons of water to get the pump primed and after that it went smooth.
Used block ice (from a bucket that got filled with rain/snow water)

In 10 minutes I was at 95 degrees
72 @ 18 minutes
68@ 22 minutes
55@ 25 minutes
48@ 35 minutes

Kaiser:
Tell me about it. The nice thing about winter is that
I don't have to start collecingt ice for chilling 3-4 days before brewing.

Kai

denny:
Having grown up in IA, I know all about snow and cold, and I've gotta say I'll take the rain we have here!  With my nice cold well water and a pump to recirc the wort as I'm chilling, I've been getting from boil to about 50 in 15-20 min.  PLUS, I don't have to shovel rain!  ;)

babalu87:

--- Quote from: denny on January 17, 2010, 10:23:10 AM ---Having grown up in IA, I know all about snow and cold, and I've gotta say I'll take the rain we have here!  With my nice cold well water and a pump to recirc the wort as I'm chilling, I've been getting from boil to about 50 in 15-20 min.  PLUS, I don't have to shovel rain!  ;)

--- End quote ---

My main goal was to not run water all over the yard when there is a foot of snow already on it  ;D

I used to run much of my chilling water into our old washing machine.
Cant run much into the new front loader   ;)

Being able to chill with just a little electricity and some snow/ice made me feel very green
I think I'll take the kids for a drive in my big 4 door 4 wheel drive truck this afternoon once I'm done brewing  :P

denny:
I understand your incentive, man  If I lived where it was cold, I'd likely do the same.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version