Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: One advantage of living in the snow belt. Boil to 48 in 35 minutes  (Read 6096 times)

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
Re: One advantage of living in the snow belt. Boil to 48 in 35 minutes
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2010, 01:44:02 pm »
Attn Deep south..how ' bout that SEC..Let's drive a stake in the prechiller myth-prechillers do NOT make a real difference but the same ice bath used for the slowly moving wort vs the fast moving coolant DOES work or pumping that same amount of ice bath water through a chiller the last few minutes

do what?????   a pre-chiller in a cooler full of ice doesn't help?  in the summer, the lowest my faucet water comes out is about 80 degrees.....   and i don't have anything big enough to hold my brewpot in ice.......

sorry for the confusion.
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2010, 01:45:24 pm »
i thought about waiting to pitch the yeast the next day, when the temp would have been i the 60's....  any downside to that?

As long as your sanitation is top notch no.

Ever though about a swamp cooler?
A big tub/cooler that you put the carboy in and then add water/ice to get to pitching/fermentation temps.

i've looked into making one of those things.  i have a keezer i usually ferment in, but i've got a beer kegged in that as we speak and i haven't gotten my kegerator hooked up that i just bought...  i have to change out some hoses and "recondition" it a bit before i use it.

Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2010, 05:43:30 pm »
i thought about waiting to pitch the yeast the next day, when the temp would have been i the 60's....  any downside to that?

As long as your sanitation is top notch no.

Ever though about a swamp cooler?
A big tub/cooler that you put the carboy in and then add water/ice to get to pitching/fermentation temps.

i've looked into making one of those things.  i have a keezer i usually ferment in, but i've got a beer kegged in that as we speak and i haven't gotten my kegerator hooked up that i just bought...  i have to change out some hoses and "recondition" it a bit before i use it.

Dude, whats to "make" ?

Find ANYTHING your carboy will fit into VOILA' you have a fermentation chamber

Trash barrel, keg tub
Eazy
Peazy
Lemon
Squeazy
Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead