Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Home Depot Chest Freezer Deal  (Read 16510 times)

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Home Depot Chest Freezer Deal
« on: November 10, 2011, 09:33:14 am »
I have this chest freezer as my kegerator with a wood collar and it works great.  For $168 and free shipping, it's a pretty good deal for a brand new CF.

http://www.dealcatcher.com/kitchen-appliances/ge-7-0-cu-ft-chest-freezer-in-white

I know you can get cheaper on Craiglist and such, but I'm always afraid of inheriting someone else's problems.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Home Depot Chest Freezer Deal
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 09:35:44 am »
I've been looking at getting a freezer for fermenting.  Any idea what the interior dimensions are?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 09:40:27 am »
Sorry I don't right now.  I can fit 4 cornies on the floor and 2 more on the hump ( when I build a taller collar ) if that helps.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 11:18:33 am »
Sorry I don't right now.  I can fit 4 cornies on the floor and 2 more on the hump ( when I build a taller collar ) if that helps.

It's a start!  Thanks!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

narvin

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 11:20:16 am »
Sorry I don't right now.  I can fit 4 cornies on the floor and 2 more on the hump ( when I build a taller collar ) if that helps.

Odd.  I bought the same freezer about a year ago and can only fit 3 cornies (ball lock) on the floor.

Or, at least the HD item number listed (100598963) is the same as the one in the receipt email.  Are you sure this is the freezer you have?

Edit: When I say the floor, this doesn't include the hump.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 12:21:38 pm by narvin »

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 11:43:34 am »
I have a similar sized one from Frigidaire and can fit 5 in it, including the hump.  I built a big collar around it, and then put in a shelf so they all sit at the same height.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 11:47:13 am »
I have the 7cf Holiday model and can also only fit 3 cornies on the bottom and one on the condenser shelf. The shelf on mine goes completely across the bottom and if i put a support block next to the shelf I can get another corny in the "on deck" so its ready to roll when a keg kicks.
Some models have the condenser shelf tucked into a 1/4 cylinder shaped shelf that maximized even floor area. Not sure if this is the case with the GE model.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

narvin

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 12:27:27 pm »
This post shows someone with 4 cornies squeezed in:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ge-7-cf-fcm7suww-keezer-conversion-192208/#post2244512

It does look pretty tight... maybe my kegs are old and warped.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 02:05:29 pm »
How many carboys/BB do you think, 2?  I'm looking for a lager fermenting fridge as I can only brew one at a time in my "converted" wine fridge.  My wife fully approves the purchase!   :D
Dave Zach

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 02:39:20 pm »
I've got this Frigidaire (7.2cf)...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Frigidaire+-+7.2+Cu.+Ft.+Chest+Freezer+-+White/9757311.p?id=1218202121298&skuId=9757311

...(got mine for a better price :) ).  I can measure inside tonight if anyone'd like.
Joe

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 06:33:39 pm »
How many carboys/BB do you think, 2?  I'm looking for a lager fermenting fridge as I can only brew one at a time in my "converted" wine fridge.  My wife fully approves the purchase!   :D

I've got one of these that I use as my fermentation freezer.  Two 6 gallon better bottles fit fine. 
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 01:58:23 am »
I got the 7cf Holiday from Lowes last May-June. Claimed the price was lower on the web and the associate gave me 10% off. 8) Think it was $180 after that. By far one of the best upgrades to my brewery.

What you can do is cut out some disks of cardboard that match the footprint of a keg. Then just try the freezers on for size.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2011, 05:21:57 am »
Odd.  I bought the same freezer about a year ago and can only fit 3 cornies (ball lock) on the floor.

Or, at least the HD item number listed (100598963) is the same as the one in the receipt email.  Are you sure this is the freezer you have?

Are you sure you have real ball lock kegs? I've seen a lot of 'reconditioned' kegs that are actually pin lock kegs with the fittings replaced with ball lock fittings.  Your keg diameter should be 8". Pin lock kegs are 9".
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline ibru

• Assistant Brewer
  • Brew Day is My Day!
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2011, 09:16:41 am »
I bought a 7 ct (can't remember the brand) from Costco. I can just barely squeeze 4 on the floor and one on the hump.

My 7" collar is almost done. Iput a "bib" on the front of my collar so I didn't have to mount the drip tray to the freezer.

narvin

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2011, 09:26:47 am »

Are you sure you have real ball lock kegs? I've seen a lot of 'reconditioned' kegs that are actually pin lock kegs with the fittings replaced with ball lock fittings.  Your keg diameter should be 8". Pin lock kegs are 9".

Yep... I have one ball lock that is in a pin lock shape and it's shorter and fatter.  The ones I'm trying to fit in the fridge are all Cornelius Super Champions.  Maybe I just need to jam them in  :)