Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Home Depot Chest Freezer Deal  (Read 16542 times)

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Re: Home Depot Chest Freezer Deal
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2011, 08:32:39 am »
I've been looking at getting a freezer for fermenting.  Any idea what the interior dimensions are?
Denny, I think you'd have a tough time fitting 2 buckets in a 7cf.  I don't think it'd fit 2 - 6.5 gallon carboys; not sure if those are bigger than buckets or not.  I have a 9 cf from Lowe's and it fits 2 - 6.5 gallon carboys comfortably.  Since I brew 3.5 gallon batches, I only ferment in 5 gallon carboys.  I don't think it fits 3 of those either. 
Jesse

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2011, 09:00:18 am »
I own the same freezer as the one in the original post.
Only, I use it for food (gasp).
It's large enough for 2 carboys, but I would not recommend it for anyone wanting more.
I have an old 9+ cubic foot freezer that I use for beer.
I can fit 8 ball locks in it, comfortably.
Or, 6 kegs & a fermenter.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2011, 09:11:32 am »
I've been looking at getting a freezer for fermenting.  Any idea what the interior dimensions are?
Denny, I think you'd have a tough time fitting 2 buckets in a 7cf.  I don't think it'd fit 2 - 6.5 gallon carboys; not sure if those are bigger than buckets or not.  I have a 9 cf from Lowe's and it fits 2 - 6.5 gallon carboys comfortably.  Since I brew 3.5 gallon batches, I only ferment in 5 gallon carboys.  I don't think it fits 3 of those either. 

Thanks, man.  2 buckets is the direction I was going.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2011, 11:01:50 am »

I have a 7cf and it holds two 8 gallon buckets. I use a platform (8" board) to raise the buckets to the level of the hump. Two buckets fit perfectly with plenty of room for air to circulate.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2011, 11:17:18 am »
If you're only using it for fermenting, I'd go with a fridge.

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2011, 01:42:03 pm »

I have a 7cf and it holds two 8 gallon buckets. I use a platform (8" board) to raise the buckets to the level of the hump. Two buckets fit perfectly with plenty of room for air to circulate.

The freezer in the original post will indeed hold two 8-gallon bucket fermenters.

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2011, 03:44:38 pm »
If you're only using it for fermenting, I'd go with a fridge.

Agree. I don't want to try to get 2 6.5g carboys into a chest freezer. Too awkward. Getting them down the basement steps and into the fridge is enough of a chore.
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

narvin

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2011, 03:59:49 pm »
You really only need a 5 cubic ft chest freezer to fit 2 carboys.  Much smaller than a fridge.  You will need either a collar or a piece of foam board with a hole for the neck.

narvin

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2011, 03:45:29 pm »
This post shows someone with 4 cornies squeezed in:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ge-7-cf-fcm7suww-keezer-conversion-192208/#post2244512

It does look pretty tight... maybe my kegs are old and warped.

Update: Yes, 4 ball locks and a 5 lb CO2 cylinder do fit on the floor of this freezer.  The fit is TIGHT for the kegs... I think I just didn't push enough the first time  ;D

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2011, 08:37:16 am »
I ended up getting this and it is in the garage. Now I just need a temp controller, CO2 tank, kegs, regulator, tubing, faucets, ...

Like so many things, I think this will be a very expensive 'sale'
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2011, 10:50:34 am »
I ended up getting this and it is in the garage. Now I just need a temp controller, CO2 tank, kegs, regulator, tubing, faucets, ...

Muahahahahah....!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2011, 01:18:38 pm »

Muahahahahah....!

Now that I think of it, this all started when someone gave me a 'free' bottling rack 'just in case I want to start brewing'. We worked together and I was moving into the apartment he was vacating. Pure evil.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2012, 02:36:22 pm »
What you can do is cut out some disks of cardboard that match the footprint of a keg. Then just try the freezers on for size.

That's exactly what I do when I shop......... Have five or six 9" discs lying around.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....