Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: KitchenAid 575W Mixer  (Read 5103 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: KitchenAid 575W Mixer
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2011, 11:27:51 pm »
I plan to use the bejeezus out of the darn thing. Took over ten years to finally pull the trigger. For once everything worked out as planned! :D

Anyone know what the thing would have cost ten years ago?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2011, 05:11:04 am »
No idea what they cost 10 years ago although mine is almost that old.  We got it as a wedding present.  I forget what model mine is exactly but it's comparable in size to the 575.  When this one dies I'm going bigger.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2011, 05:53:41 am »
I seem to recall paying $250 to $300 for my KA Professional about 18 years ago and it is either a 4.5 or 5 qt.

It is built like a rock, but the attachments are not something I would pursue unless you are space limited. I do use the meat grinder, but it is really only good for small batches. It's better to get a countertop grinder for less than 100 beans and you can grind the world in a couple of minutes. The sausage attachment is ok, but better is a grizzly upright 5 lb stuffer. However for mixing it is a champ.

Of course I also love my Braun food processor which is just as old.

I guess back then I filled my kitchen with all my gadgets!
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2011, 07:19:41 am »
I have the meatgrinder attachment and while I like it I agree that it's really only good for doing a couple pounds at a time.  Sometime soon I want to fill up my never-used 11 lb sausage stuffer.  The thought of grinding 11lbs of meat through the kitchen aid is the thing that's been stopping me up to this point.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2011, 11:51:42 pm »
Some of KitchenAid products are still made in Ohio, but a lot of the gears are now plastic. A lot of their other products are made in China.

Do you work for Hamilton Beach, or what?

You made me spit beer on my monitor. Damn that was funny!

I love mine, I inherited a bunch of attachments. I make my chorizo with it.
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2011, 09:32:38 am »
They also rock at making sausage.

I love mine & that's how it probably gets used the most.

Offline Slowbrew

• The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2011, 10:14:51 am »
I gave my wife one for Christmas about 10 years.  I believe I paid around $300 for it.  i use it more than she does.

Just in case anyone thought the specs might have changed, they seem to be exactly what they were way back when.  Cleaning out my Mom's house, we found a meat grinder attachment that has to be at least 60 years old.  No one else wanted it so I brought it home and it fits our KA perfectly. 

The only thing I have run into that isn't perfect is grease leaking out of the head.  The drive train above the mixer is filled with grease.  If you don't use it a couple of times a months, at least, the grease will start to run past the bushings and make a mess the next time you do use it.  It can actually drip into the food you are preparing.  This can be avoided by using it regularly and if it starts happening it will stop after a few uses.  So use it well and often.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2011, 10:27:47 am »
Might want to read this before you buy a new one. If my 35+ year old one, that was handed down to me, ever breaks, I'll spend whatever it takes to repair it, even if it equals the cost of a new one.

[urlhttp://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/kitchenaid_mixers.html][/url]