Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Speaking of additional categories and the call for simplicity...  (Read 2609 times)

Offline enso

• Brewer
  • Northeast Kingdom, VT
    • Bristle Bros. Brewing Blog
Speaking of additional categories and the call for simplicity...
« on: February 03, 2010, 11:56:32 am »
As another viewpoint I wonder if perhaps we already have too many categories?!

What has me wondering is this.  I am an all grain brewer, however I have not really checked in that category.  Guess I have not had any issues/questions recently.  I checked in there today because I had already looked at most of the others...  wasting time today I guess.   ;)

I saw many posts in there that I thought perhaps were more relevant in other sections.  Some where questions on grains (ingredients?) others on recipes, clone requests (recipe section?)

I wonder if perhaps it is because they are viewed as belonging in "all grain" because they involve grains that require mashing or recipes that are in fact all grain.  It seems sort of exclusionary then since partial mash or extract brewers may not read that section.

I am not asking for removal of any section, just wondering if there is a better way to get things in the "right" place

Sorry if I am being a pain.  I guess I need to go do something "important"   ::)

;D
Dave Brush

Offline enso

• Brewer
  • Northeast Kingdom, VT
Re: Speaking of additional categories and the call for simplicity...
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 12:05:26 pm »
I guess I am seeing this in the general brewing section as well.  Recipes, ingredients...
Dave Brush

Offline enso

• Brewer
  • Northeast Kingdom, VT
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 12:15:12 pm »
Okay, yes I have nothing better to do...   :-\

Seems this is the way things are in all of the brewing categories.  The All grain, extract/partial mash, and the general discussion brewers are discussing recipes and ingredients each in their "own" section. 

Does not seem to be very organized and kind of a detriment to the equal dissemination of brewing knowledge to all members.
Dave Brush

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 12:16:39 pm »
I see your point, but have you considered just using the "Unread" button at the top to see what's new?

that way you don't have to sift through old 'stuff'
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 12:17:29 pm »
If something has no relevance at all to the section it's in, one of the mods moves iot to another section.  Several of the things you mentioned are kinda "crossover"...a judgment call.  
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 09:30:55 am »
I whole heartedly appreciate the wood/casks child area. It would appear
you were correct on the volume of usage Denny.  Altho,
I am slow to actually acquire and or find the proper cask, and
once I do...posting will go up on my part in that header.

So If you need to prune header catagories, I could understand pruning there.... :'(
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.