Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Düsseldorf Alt Recipe Check  (Read 7499 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Düsseldorf Alt Recipe Check
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2011, 06:36:53 am »
I liked the first one better.  Then again, I have lost a handfull of afternoons at Zum Uerige. 
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2011, 09:24:55 am »
I like the way that looks. I'm glad you kept the aroma hops too.  ;)

I like it, too. 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2011, 09:43:41 am »
Well then, I'll brew that one!  But I would like to try brewing a pils-based Alt sometime in the future, just to compare.
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2011, 10:36:58 am »
Do you really need the pickling lime?  I'd check the pH before adding that... even using water with no alkalinity I really doubt you need that to get your pH to 5.4.

Narvin,

You're right, I didn't need any pickling lime to get a pH of 5.4 with my initial recipe.  I must have input some of the data wrong in Bru'n Water when I wrote that recipe.  If anything, I might have had to add a small % of acid malt to get the pH in range.
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

narvin

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2011, 01:22:37 pm »
Do you really need the pickling lime?  I'd check the pH before adding that... even using water with no alkalinity I really doubt you need that to get your pH to 5.4.

Narvin,

You're right, I didn't need any pickling lime to get a pH of 5.4 with my initial recipe.  I must have input some of the data wrong in Bru'n Water when I wrote that recipe.  If anything, I might have had to add a small % of acid malt to get the pH in range.

I find that the calculators usually report a little low, at least for darker beers.  Base malt just seems to have a lot of buffering capacity compared to the acidity of dark malts.  My latest 40 SRM stout hit 5.5 without any water adjustment, and my water's RA is only 25.  One thing to note was that the ColorPhast strips were way off when testing this wort compared to a calibrated pH meter and read about 5.0 for some reason.  Kai's calculator was closer to being correct than Bru'nWater, although the recipe input isn't as easy to use since you have to determine color % from roasted vs caramel malts.

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2011, 03:29:49 pm »
Brewed the revised version (Munich/Vienna base) last Friday. Ended up with a 12P wort, which should yield a nice session strength alt.  Thanks again for the suggestions!
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial