Author Topic: Christmas Tree IPA  (Read 2558 times)

Offline jindenver

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
Christmas Tree IPA
« on: November 11, 2011, 11:09:00 AM »
Hey Brewers!

I'm getting ready to make a Christmas Tree IPA next weekend and I'm still having trouble finalizing a recipe. What I want to do is take a pretty standard IPA, but add some pine flavor, but most importantly, a nice pine aroma to it. I'd prefer to avoid any syrups, as I've read a lot of things about disastrous results with that kind of additive, but I'm not sure what else to do. Some have suggested using actual piece of a pine tree, but I'm not completely sure how to go about it.

Do any of the much-better-than-my-homebrewing brains out there have any suggestions tips or experiences to share?

Thanks so much!

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Christmas Tree IPA
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 11:11:22 AM »
Hey Brewers!

I'm getting ready to make a Christmas Tree IPA next weekend and I'm still having trouble finalizing a recipe. What I want to do is take a pretty standard IPA, but add some pine flavor, but most importantly, a nice pine aroma to it. I'd prefer to avoid any syrups, as I've read a lot of things about disastrous results with that kind of additive, but I'm not sure what else to do. Some have suggested using actual piece of a pine tree, but I'm not completely sure how to go about it.

Do any of the much-better-than-my-homebrewing brains out there have any suggestions tips or experiences to share?

Thanks so much!

Use a good amount of Chinook Hops for flavor & aroma & dry hop. You'll enjoy the pine....  Cheers, and happy brewing!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline morticaixavier

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Davis, CA
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 11:17:26 AM »
unfotunatly, if you want to use real pine you are brewing at the wrong time of year. you want to use the fresh light green tips of the branches as they start growing in the spring. I beleive you want to use spruce but I cannot now recall the particular varieties favored.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time" - A. Einstein

Jonathan I Fuller

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 12:53:48 PM »
Spruce is supposed to best and your are correct about the new growth aspect.

However, if the tips were exposed to the boil for a short time (last 15 minues?) maybe the harsher components could be avoided.
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank

Fermenting: McChouffe clone, Samiclaus clone
Conditioning: Belgian Tripel, Barrel Aged Baltic Porter - in sherry barrel, Belgain Easter Ale
On tap: CAP, Dortmunder Export, IIPA, Dubbel Chocolate Stout, Wee Heavy, Whiskey barrel aged Wee Heavy, Baltic Porter
Newly Bottled:

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • I must live here
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 01:36:17 PM »
I once tried a pine beer someone brewed.  Kinda reminded me of Pine Sol.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline morticaixavier

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Davis, CA
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 01:40:57 PM »
I once tried a pine beer someone brewed.  Kinda reminded me of Pine Sol.

the aroma of pine-sol comes from Yarrow, or it did originally. Also a olde-tyme brewing herb and a really good herb to know about. The leaves when dried and powdered will stop bleeding in minor cuts and the leaves and flowers are somewhat antimicrobial. It is known as the 'Battlefield' herb for these reasons.

**EDIT** after hitting the POST button I thought about what I had just said and realized that one might be able to make a xmas tree beer with the addition of a little yarrow which should be found at any healthfood store or herb store with a good selection of dried herbs.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 01:42:37 PM by morticaixavier »
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time" - A. Einstein

Jonathan I Fuller

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 01:53:08 PM »
unfotunatly, if you want to use real pine you are brewing at the wrong time of year. you want to use the fresh light green tips of the branches as they start growing in the spring. I beleive you want to use spruce but I cannot now recall the particular varieties favored.
Sitka spruce is favored, from further north is supposed to be better.  For what it's worth, the new growth of Sitka will not give you a piney aroma, it is much more citrusy.  I like it a lot.  If you've ever had Alaskan Winter, they use Sitka spruce in that.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline roguenationpatriot

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
    • Homebrewing Adventures With Nick Filipow
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 01:57:26 PM »
Has anyone tried the Colonial spruce beer recipe from Zymurgy magazine a few months back?
Be sure to check out my Blog and website at
http://homebrewblog.webs.com/
http://nickfilipow.blogspot.com/

On Tap
HomeBrews
Oaked Barrel Aged Russian Imp. Stout
English Mild
Welsh's Juice Concentrate Wine
Infused Garlic Ginger Vodka
Infused Vanillia Coffee Bean Vodka

Commercial Favorites
Weasel Boy Russian Imperial Stout
21st Amendment Back In Black
Dogfish Head 90 Min IPA
Troeg's Dreamweaver

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 03:27:32 PM »
Interesting.... I have a few acres of spruce I might just experiment with.   :D

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 04:01:16 PM »
 Tubercle has only dumped one beer in his brewing life because he thinks even bad beer is good -  it was the pine needle ale, AKA turpentine.

It consisted of a basic cream ale recipe and all the fresh pine needles you can hold in 2 hands. A wee bit too much pine. Go easy.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 06:45:33 PM »
Bo thinks pine spiced beer is a bad idea.

Offline stihler

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
    • Alaska Beer and Brewing
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 06:47:38 PM »
Spruce is supposed to best and your are correct about the new growth aspect.

However, if the tips were exposed to the boil for a short time (last 15 minutes?) maybe the harsher components could be avoided.

A short boil used to be the common belief. However, Pete Devaris who is pretty much the authority on spruce beers recommends boiling for about an hour.

I've judged an American Pale Ale with spruce that he brewed and it was awesome. The surprising thing about it was that although it was highly hopped the spruce still came through.

Pete recommends Sitka Spruce. I've used white spruce and the beers came out pretty good. However, I have yet to try the extended boiling that Pete recommends.

If you are serious about brewing a spruce beer I recommend searching the Forum for Pete Devaris and reading all the posts with respect to his spruce beer suggestions.

Spruce beers are good. Pine beers scare the willies out of me. Yuck!

I hope this helps!

- Scott
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 02:39:27 PM by stihler »
Is beer a vegetable?

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2011, 08:25:19 PM »
I boil my spruce tips for an hour, as directed by Pete Devaris.  it works great, turns out really nice.  His wife even makes a great spruce tip jelly by boiling the tips for an hour and then (presumably) straining out the tips and adding gelatin.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2011, 05:00:55 PM »
what about adding simcoe?!
Phoenix, AZ

Offline aviking427

• Cellarman
  • Pound Ridge, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2011, 08:38:26 AM »
Any thought to using Juniper Berries? You should be able to get them year round from any decent spice joint.
Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer.