Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What makes a beer "Imperial"  (Read 13308 times)

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
What makes a beer "Imperial"
« on: November 11, 2011, 02:54:08 pm »
Most people assume that any "Imperial" type brew has to have quite a substantial amount of bittering units.... to have survived the long sea voyages.  Wouldn't later kettle hops have accomplished exactly the same thing without all the harsh bittering and probably been more effective in "keeping" the beer due to greater amounts of late hops having been used?  I like IPA's but I think I'm finding that I like them simply because they are bigger beers with more hop aroma and flavor... the bitterness isn't really what I look for or enjoy in a good IPA.  Jmo.... what do you all think about the subject?

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: What makes a beer "Imperial"
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 03:01:32 pm »
Today it's a marketing tool that means "this beer has way too much alcohol and hops to be good, but the hype helps sell it to the denizens of beeradvocate and ratebeer".
Try to give a traditional imperial stout like Samuel Smith to a 25 year old "beer geek" and he'll spit it out.  Not neraly enough excess to make a statement, you can't brag about being able to handle "3 Sammy Smith Imperial stouts in one sitting".
Sorry about the rant but I just had this same discussion with a new employee who thinks Old Rasputin is a bland old school beer with no real flavor.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 03:20:52 pm »
some dude with a label maker. ;D
Don AHA member

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 03:31:45 pm »
In my opinion, its along the line of Imperial Stout...a recipe that has been boosted in its alcohol content beyond the normal limits for that style. 
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 03:40:37 pm »
Most people assume that any "Imperial" type brew has to have quite a substantial amount of bittering units.... to have survived the long sea voyages.  Wouldn't later kettle hops have accomplished exactly the same thing without all the harsh bittering and probably been more effective in "keeping" the beer due to greater amounts of late hops having been used?  I like IPA's but I think I'm finding that I like them simply because they are bigger beers with more hop aroma and flavor... the bitterness isn't really what I look for or enjoy in a good IPA.  Jmo.... what do you all think about the subject?
If you want a true IPA, not the Americanized versions, look to Samuel Smith or Left Hand brewery's 400 Pound Monkey.  They are not "imperial" by any means, and don't claim to be, but they are both fairly traditional India pale Ales*(for what that's worth) and are very pleasant to drink.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 06:43:45 pm »
a recipe that has been boosted in its alcohol content beyond the normal limits for that style. 

+1. 

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 12:32:38 am »
a recipe that has been boosted in its alcohol content beyond the normal limits for that style. 

+1. 

It is a beer that has been turned up to eleven. ;D

Though it doesn't necessarily have to be extremely hoppy IMO- just a boosted up version of a standard.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 08:40:14 am »
In my opinion, its along the line of Imperial Stout...a recipe that has been boosted in its alcohol content beyond the normal limits for that style. 

+1

A recipe that is scaled up in ABV.
Ron Price

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 09:10:02 am »

That's the way I think of it, too.  Not necessarily hoppier as Dean mentioned in his original post, but definitely higher gravity.  But it certainly can be bigger in all regards.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2011, 11:06:32 am »

That's the way I think of it, too.  Not necessarily hoppier as Dean mentioned in his original post, but definitely higher gravity.  But it certainly can be bigger in all regards.
+1
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Online ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2011, 11:48:47 am »
The challenge is to still achieve some balance with the beer - I made an imperial Kolsch and the extra alcohol affected the taste more than expected.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Al Equihua

• Assistant Brewer
  • A la Salud!
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2011, 12:16:46 pm »
curiosly, this morning i was thinking what to call my batch that i tooked the final gravity just before to go to work: American Brown Ale with a 7.6% aproximate ABV in the  FG, i know is to way of the style, so, it is a Imperial American Brown Ale?
Al Equihua

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2011, 12:27:46 pm »
What does it taste like?  Taste is the ultimate qualifier, not the recipe.  Style guides define styles by taste, not recipe.

That said you could call it imperial.

I'd name it Big Bad Leroy Brown.
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2011, 12:40:25 pm »

Sorry about the rant but I just had this same discussion with a new employee who thinks Old Rasputin is a bland old school beer with no real flavor.

That's just ridonkulous. 

I'm registered to BeerAdvocate also and I get pretty annoyed at all the hype around oak aged or barrel aged beers over there and this thing called "WHALES".  It's like these dudes can't appreciate a 6% IPA or 5% pale ale, it's the more extreme the better.  And no one talks about lagers.  At all.  The rating websites, "ticking", and reviews those dudes get way into is a bunch of sh*t in my opinion. 
I've said it before and I'll say it again: I feel like a lot of these beer advocates don't actually like beer, they just like the idea of beer.
Jesse

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2011, 02:17:41 pm »

That's just ridonkulous. 

I'm registered to BeerAdvocate also and I get pretty annoyed at all the hype around oak aged or barrel aged beers over there and this thing called "WHALES".  It's like these dudes can't appreciate a 6% IPA or 5% pale ale, it's the more extreme the better.  And no one talks about lagers.  At all.  The rating websites, "ticking", and reviews those dudes get way into is a bunch of sh*t in my opinion. 
I've said it before and I'll say it again: I feel like a lot of these beer advocates don't actually like beer, they just like the idea of beer.

here here! Two of my favorite beers right now are north coast acme pale ale (around 5% I would guess) and my own ordinary bitter which clocks in a a wopping 3.2% I like them cause I can drink my bitter all evening and not get drunk! three pints and I am just slightly happier than I might otherwise be. (and sleepier as it is heavily late hopped). Course I also have a 10+% barley wine that I just transfered to an oak barrel so...
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce