Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wisconsin Bill 290  (Read 9835 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Wisconsin Bill 290
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2011, 04:56:06 pm »
What he said above - the problem with reading any statute that references other statutes is that you need to read those other statutes! :o
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline jkeeler

• Cellarman
    • BSG
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2011, 07:51:45 am »
Good news, the bill was passed by a voice vote through the Assembly yesterday.
Also, the amendment requiring shops to obtain an operators license was fixed/adjusted to reflect the fact that shops DO NOT need to obtain an additional liquor license of any kind to qualify for the operators license.

In essence, this means shops will only have to obtain the simple "bartenders" or operators license for employees whom will serve or oversee giving out samples at said shop. 

For more information: https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/2011/proposals/ab290

The bill now goes to the Senate.  It may require a hearing prior to going to the Senate floor, or it may go straight to the floor for a vote.  Since it passed on a voice vote through the Assembly, and no one has registered opposition, it may go straight to vote. 

cheers
Better then a dull stick in the eye

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2011, 11:24:58 am »
Great, glad to see things look like they will be improving.

on a side note, are homebrew competitions legal or not in Wisconsin?  They did have a competition at the state fair this year didn't they?  I'm confused.

cheers--
--Michael

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2011, 11:43:35 am »
This is like watching Schoolhouse Rock while drinking a beer.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2011, 01:30:02 pm »
on a side note, are homebrew competitions legal or not in Wisconsin?  They did have a competition at the state fair this year didn't they?  I'm confused.

It depends who you ask.  On the one hand, the statutes are silent about it, and many communities have agreed to "look the other way".  On the other hand, representatives from the State of Wisconsin have told homebrewers that in their conservative interpretation of the statutes, it seems illegal to serve homebrew anywhere outside of your own home.  Personally, I think they're full of crap.  It's totally wide open to interpretation.  This is one of the biggest reasons we're basically forced into drafting up new statutes -- just so we can do what we've always been doing and what makes logical sense to any other human being on Earth besides the State.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Gary Glass

• Brewer
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2011, 09:02:21 am »
That's great news Jake!  The amendment clarifying that no Class A or B license is required to get the operators license for a homebrew shop is a major improvement to this legislation.

I also think that the bi-partisan support for AB 290 really bodes well for the bill that the Wisconsin Homebrewers Alliance has been working on.  This may be a model to use in other states: start with a small business bill, that will be hard for legislators to oppose out of hand in the current political climate, use that to educate legislators about the homebrewing, then follow with a homebrewers rights bill.

Hopefully AB 290 will receive similar support in the Senate.

Cheers!
Gary
Gary Glass
Longmont, Colorado

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2011, 01:44:06 pm »
The homebrew legislation made it on MSNBC last night!

Maddow was interviewing Rep. Cory Mason, a Democrat, and he was talking about how Wis Republicans were working on everything except jobs and he mentioned something about homebrewing and I think serving beer in brewshops.  Not the greatest inference but you made it to TV!
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2011, 04:15:52 pm »
Looks like it was sent to the Senate committee; let's hope it doesn't stall out there.... ::)
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2011, 04:24:31 pm »
You should have pitched it as a jobs bill since homebrewing and all that goes with it is a source of jobs in small businesses.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2011, 09:59:19 am »
You should have pitched it as a jobs bill since homebrewing and all that goes with it is a source of jobs in small businesses.

That was one of the things we kept pointing out when we were working on getting our law passed here.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2011, 10:18:23 pm »
We will save that for the homebrew legislation.

Offline jkeeler

• Cellarman
    • BSG
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2011, 10:37:57 am »
Hey everyone, I just got notice that AB290 has a public hearing this Thursday (see details below).
I'm planning on attending to testify in support.
I'm also going to make some supportive remarks for the WIHBA's efforts.

Wish me luck!

Jake

------------------
Committee on Energy, Biotechnology, and Consumer Protection
The committee will hold a public hearing on the following items at the time specified below:
Thursday, November 17, 2011
10:00 AM
330 Southwest
State Capitol

Senate Bill 205

Relating to: the manufacture of wine and fermented malt beverages not offered for sale.
By Senators Zipperer, Galloway and Schultz; cosponsored by Representatives Kooyenga, Mursau, Spanbauer, Rivard, A. Ott, C. Taylor, Brooks and Berceau.

Assembly Bill 290

Relating to: the manufacture of wine and fermented malt beverages not offered for sale.
By Representatives Kooyenga, Mursau, Spanbauer, Rivard, A. Ott, C. Taylor, Brooks, Berceau and Strachota; cosponsored by Senators Zipperer, Galloway and Schultz.

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2011, 11:53:37 am »
Bring free samples with you, then say "too bad you can't try this but its against the law right now."

OK I've never been known for my powers of persuasion.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2011, 12:08:45 pm »
Good luck, Jake!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jkeeler

• Cellarman
    • BSG
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2011, 07:42:42 am »
The Senate hearing went very very well!
It's looking like it will pass through the Senate, and then onto the Governors desk.

David Mitchell from the Vine and Hop shop in Madison also showed up to testify in support and made some excellent points.

My impressions so far is that there is very strong, bi-partisan, and unified support for both this bill, and the efforts of the homebrewers.

Representative Dale Kooyenga who worked with NB to draft AB 290 said he is very interested in helping the WIHBA on any and all efforts of the "Homebrewer's Rigths" bill.  I think he has built strong relationships, trust and consensus in both houses on the issues Homebrewers are facing in WI.   His email:  Rep.Kooyenga@legis.wisconsin.gov

cheers!