Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Thank you veterans!  (Read 2930 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Thank you veterans!
« on: November 11, 2011, 08:03:38 am »
Please take a minute today to reflect on the veterans who have sacrificed so much for all of us.  Without these fine men and women our country might be far different today.  We owe them a debt far greater than we can ever pay.  Hoist a pint and say thanks.

And please, don't degrade this thanks by making this a political conversation.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
Re: Thank you veterans!
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 08:09:24 am »
Cheers and thanks Denny...   I R 1    ::)
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 08:10:11 am »
Thank you. And cheers!
Mark Gres

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 08:28:17 am »
thanks to all those i served with and those i didn't have the good fortune too.

as a former sub driver and father of one naval officer and soon to have a second one.  we do appreciate the opportunities to serve and the little thank yous from passersby or on posts such as this and facebook are what really show that the efforts are worth while.
Don AHA member

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 08:42:08 am »
My youngest son shamed me this morning my reminding me to give thanks.

Thanks to all the brave men and women who have given so much to preserve our freedom.

Offline thebeermedic

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 09:10:34 am »
Thanks to all who serve(d) & their families.... It is great to see all the messages of thanks today, but let's not forget those who have paid for our freedom. Everytime we gather to brew or to enjoy the fruits of our labor we should remember that we live free because of the scarifices of brave men & women.

HAPPY VETERAN'S DAY!!!!CHEERS!
Dan Evans
Sr. Brew Medic
Beer Medic Brewing

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 09:22:23 am »
Here, here!

Thanks to all our vets!
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 09:46:40 am »
Thanks! While I myself have not served and hope never to have to I so apreciate the service given by all the men and women through the years.

Cheers!
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 09:48:35 am »
A great big thanks to all of our men and women in uniform who are serving and/or have served this great country of ours.

Thanks!  :)
Ron Price

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 09:59:00 am »
Thanks to all Veterans and currently serving personnel.

I have 2 nephews in the service right now ( Marines and Air Force ).  I also have 2 brothers that were in the Navy.  They like to tell stories of their Navy days and what heroes they were...I believe they just scrapped barnacles off the ships  :D    One almost came home with a wife ( from Japan ), but then just came back with a motorcycle instead.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline glastctbrew

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 10:46:34 am »
A tip of the hat and a toast to all my friends that served, my nephew that is stationed in Japan atm and to all those that have served and currently serve so people like me can enjoy the freedoms they protect.

Thank you!
Scott
Still Hill Brewery

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 11:31:40 pm »
It may be a couple of days late, but I thought this was worth re-posting - I hope Phil doesn't mind.  Thanks to all of our vets and those of our allies.

This is a long post, but I'd like to think that it's worth reading if you have time.

---

I learned this recently, and it's really something to think about when you hear people who knock France as being wimpy "cheese-eating surrender monkeys:"

In World War I, France lost 1,397,800 soldiers during the 1914-18 conflict. They also had 300,000 civilian casualties. Total dead: almost four and a half percent of the population. 4,266,000 military wounded, ten percent of the population. And we all know that "wounded" from WWI often meant surviving injuries whose treatments would severely handicap the soldier.

In every town in France, -every- town, there's a memorial to their men "mort pour la France." In Milly-la-foret, a beautiful town near me known for its mint production, there's a memorial in the local church, with more than 200 names listed. The town had a population of 2,416 just before the war. That's 12 percent of the town, dead. In my town, population 423 during the war, there's a memorial to 30 men. This country suffered losses that could not be imagined by those of us lucky enough to have been born on a completely different side of the world in a very comfortable place from a strategic point of view, losses that affected every single Frenchman. So next time you hear someone talking about how the French are always giving up, remind them of those 1.4 million, whose gave up nothing else but their lives.

Then there's World War II. Vichy overshadows a lot of the bravery that Frenchmen exhibited during the occupation, and before. The street I live on is named after a fighter pilot and Légion d'honneur recipient who died in 1940, Commandant Maurice Arnoux. He first fought in WWI, first in Serbia where, at 19 years old, he was inducted into the Order of the Serbian Army, received the Serbian Cross for "Vertus militaires," and the French Croix de Guerre with Palm. In 1916, he was sent to Verdun and as Sergeant flew at altitudes that sometimes went as low as 20 feet to provide cover for ground forces. On two occasions his plane was hit and the resulting damage forced full-speed emergency landings, from which he emerged miraculously unscathed. His actions at Verdun and elsewhere earned him five citations in the order of the French Army Air Corps, the Médaille Militaire,  and the Légion d'honneur, earned at only 23 years old.

During the space between wars he was promoted several times and finally reached the rank of Commandant. During WWII he took again to aerial engagements, and was wounded on May 10, 1940. After a brief stay in the hospital he returned to the air and on June 6, 1940, after a heroic battle, he was shot down and crashed in a cornfield outside of Angivillers. He left behind a wife, three children, and many friends.

---

In several places near my house you can find plaques commemorating Free French who were killed at the hands of the Nazis. Here's one of them: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=48.51839,2.2625&spn=0.001281,0.004128&z=19&layer=c&cbll=48.51834,2.262387&panoid=RAkgXejiUdIo5VaI4fsfFQ&cbp=12,20.21,,0,8.22
(I'm going over there to get a few baguettes after work, I'll post a better picture then, as well as a translation).

---

And, as an American in France, I'm keenly aware of the role my grandfather and other grandfathers like mine had to play here.

This is the Paratrooper Memorial at a bridge near Saint Mere Eglise. I drank a Sam Adams near here, in their memory.

This is a blockhouse at Omaha Beach.

This is Point du Hoc, which Rangers scaled on D-Day.

This is the church in Ste Mere Eglise - if you remember The Longest Day, Red Buttons got caught on the roof of the church during the invasion. That actually happened, and the guy survived. They put this up in honor of him.

The interior of the church, one of the stained glass windows. This depicts Mary, but I'd like to think that it represents Marianne, the symbol of France, with paratroopers coming to her aid. Makes me a bit teary thinking about it.

This is another stained glass from the interior, depicting saint michael. At the bottom it says "Ils sont revenus" which means, "They have come back." The reason behind it: on the left, the date 6 June 1944, and on the right, 6 June 1969, 25 years later. It was the first time the paratroopers that liberated the town had come back, and was a powerful moment for the people of the town. FYI Ste Mere Eglise was the first town in France to be liberated on D-Day.

Here's a marker for an unknown soldier's grave, in the American Cemetery near the Normandy beaches.
Tom Schmidlin