Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Grain flavors  (Read 4755 times)

Offline quest4watneys

• Assistant Brewer
  • Indianapolis, IN
Grain flavors
« on: November 11, 2011, 05:33:21 pm »
As I learn more about brewing, I'd like to start to making my own recipes. How can I get the best idea of what flavor a particular grain will give me? I've heard of chewing on the grain, steeping and making a 'tea' etc...what works best?
I'm now an official AHA member!

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
Re: Grain flavors
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 05:44:05 pm »
Chewing on the grain will definitely give you a sense of what the different grains are like....in a chewed state.

The only way to tell the difference after they are brewed is to try them in that enviroment. Bite the bullet and buy recipe sized amounts and brew the same recipe with the different grains. Don't go by what anyone else tells you is the best, what to avoid, etc...

Only you know what you like. Once you decide then you can buy in bulk to save a little money. Sorry I can't be of better help but there is really no other way.

Stand back!!!! Here come the Naysayers!!!!
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 08:17:57 pm »
Chewing the grains gives you an idea, but there really is no substitute for tasting them in a brewed beer.  And keep in mind that different yeast and hop flavors may interact with the flavors of the malt differently too, so a malt you prefer in one style might not be what you prefer in another.

A good start for any given style is to brew it with the traditional grains, then tweak some stuff and brew it again.

tubercle, that was me agreeing with you again :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 09:26:44 pm »
Chewing the grains gives you an idea, but there really is no substitute for tasting them in a brewed beer.  And keep in mind that different yeast and hop flavors may interact with the flavors of the malt differently too, so a malt you prefer in one style might not be what you prefer in another.

A good start for any given style is to brew it with the traditional grains, then tweak some stuff and brew it again.

Thank you for agreeing with me ;)

I think we said the same thing, you just said it better.

Quest'...It's kind of like fruit wines. The finished product doesn't taste anything like the raw ingriedents but each adds its own twist.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 09:40:57 pm »

Thank you for agreeing with me ;)

I think we said the same thing, you just said it better.

Quest'...It's kind of like fruit wines. The finished product doesn't taste anything like the raw ingriedents but each adds its own twist.

I thought it was a quote. ;)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 12:51:31 am »
I never taste my wort. I don't think it is a good representation of the finished product.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 03:54:37 am »
I never taste my wort. I don't think it is a good representation of the finished product.

True, but it is a good representation of what the yeast dive into.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 06:07:09 am »
I always taste my wort, right before I pitch the yeast. I think it tells me a lot about the hop flavor and bitterness. I also just spent 5 hours making it and I'm impatient.  ;D

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 07:17:43 am »
Chewing definitely gives you some sort of sense for the particular malt but I agree it isn't anything like the wort or beer.  I sometimes taste my wort but it too tastes nothing like the finished product.  Taste your beer straight out of the fermenter before it is carbonated and it won't taste like the final product either.  I guess all things have their place and knowing how it should taste throughout each step if you are recreating a batch would be a big help but I rarely do any of them anymore.   :-\

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2011, 08:10:53 am »
Chewing definitely gives you some sort of sense for the particular malt but I agree it isn't anything like the wort or beer.  I sometimes taste my wort but it too tastes nothing like the finished product.  Taste your beer straight out of the fermenter before it is carbonated and it won't taste like the final product either.  I guess all things have their place and knowing how it should taste throughout each step if you are recreating a batch would be a big help but I rarely do any of them anymore.   :-\

I agree. You have to do it all the time to develop a reference point.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2011, 08:20:19 am »
I like to do some quality control checks throughout the entire process. I taste the raw grain as well as inspect it visually. I also taste the wort from the hydrometer tube prior to pitching. After fermentation I'll taste the beer from the hydrometer tube prior to force carbonation. Naturally I taste the finished carbonated beer and record my tasting notes in beersmith. Sometimes I'll add tasting notes as the beer ages as well.
Ron Price

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2011, 12:31:25 pm »

My previous wiseguy remark aside...

I think one of the more difficult aspects of learning how to evaluate the flavor profiles of beers is learning how to recognize the characteristics contributed by yeast.  Tasting the unfermented wort before, and the finished beer afterwards is very helpful in understanding that.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2011, 12:49:40 pm »

I think one of the more difficult aspects of learning how to evaluate the flavor profiles of beers is learning how to recognize the characteristics contributed by yeast.  Tasting the unfermented wort before, and the finished beer afterwards is very helpful in understanding that.
I like to taste my beers from start to finish, at all phases, to try and better understand how it all works.  I am slowly gaining an understanding, through trial and error, how small and simple changes affect my beers throughout the process.  True, it does taste much different at each of the steps, but understanding the changes will ultimately help me make a better beer.
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline quest4watneys

• Assistant Brewer
  • Indianapolis, IN
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2011, 03:03:09 pm »
Sounds like a consensus! I actually plan to brew the  same recipe several times in a row in the upcoming weeks to try and better understand my process and equipment. Up until now, I've been jumping all over the board which is fun but I don't think it's helping me understand the finer points of all grain. Maybe now is a good time to try some subtle variations?
I'm now an official AHA member!

Offline mattc

• 1st Kit
  • Cold filtered,frost brewed,triple hopped...blah,bl
    • Beaconhills Brewhouse Weblog
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2011, 06:50:53 am »

+1. Couldn't agree more with that statement. if you dont taste, you won't have any reference point.
Read a good beer blog: www.beaconhillsbrewhouse.org
Traditional Brewing: Reinvented