Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Why hide behind a Alias?  (Read 19531 times)

Offline ryang

• Brewer
  • Indian Hills CO
Re: Why hide behind a Alias?
« Reply #90 on: November 04, 2011, 09:58:02 am »
There's a lady in my company whose legitimate name is Kitten... I think she should go by an alias.  It's really hard to take her seriously, when all I can hear while she's talking is purring and meowing.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #91 on: November 04, 2011, 10:02:00 am »
I'm all for identifying one's self on web forums.  I typically call myself Dave because that's what I like to be called, but anyone who cares enough to look into things will quickly figure out that dmtaylor means David M. Taylor from Two Rivers, WI and that I have been posting about homebrewing in various forums for over 10 years.  I see zero reason to hide these facts, and I actually feel more pride than shame or anything.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #92 on: November 04, 2011, 01:18:28 pm »
I don't go by aliases much on the internet, but support peoples' freedom to do so. For example, if someone on this forum were from Iran or Saudi Arabia, they could face persecution for producing their own beer... hell, if someone just came from a Mormon family or something, they may not want the whole world to know that they like making beer, and who am I to judge them if they choose to keep something private that I personally choose to publicize?

As for me, my user name is Skyler because that's how my first name is pronounced. Schuyler Alec Campbell, Esq., is my true and full name and title, which I imagine enough people could figure out if they bothered looking into it, but I hate how my first name is spelled, and so I use the easier spelling whenever I have a chance.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #93 on: November 04, 2011, 01:50:24 pm »
I hate how my first name is spelled, and so I use the easier spelling whenever I have a chance.
For whatever it's worth (probably not much), I like the way your name is spelled.  I prefer traditional spellings like Sean and Padraig over Shawn and Patrick.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #94 on: November 04, 2011, 01:52:12 pm »
As for me, my user name is Skyler because that's how my first name is pronounced. Schuyler Alec Campbell, Esq., is my true and full name and title, which I imagine enough people could figure out if they bothered looking into it, but I hate how my first name is spelled, and so I use the easier spelling whenever I have a chance.

Maybe you could find someone to help you "legally" change your name   ;D
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

narvin

« Reply #95 on: November 04, 2011, 01:58:55 pm »
I think some people here may also be registered sex offenders.  Not naming any names, but just look at some of these avatars!

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #96 on: November 07, 2011, 06:47:48 am »
... hell, if someone just came from a Mormon family or something, they may not want the whole world to know that they like making beer, and who am I to judge them if they choose to keep something private that I personally choose to publicize?

You're going fishing with a Mormon. How do you keep him from drinking all your beer?

...Invite a second Mormon.

I come from a Mormon family. Guess who told me this joke?  ;D
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #97 on: November 07, 2011, 06:50:59 am »
... hell, if someone just came from a Mormon family or something, they may not want the whole world to know that they like making beer, and who am I to judge them if they choose to keep something private that I personally choose to publicize?

You're going fishing with a Mormon. How do you keep him from drinking all your beer?

I heard that same joke, but Mormon was replaced by Baptist.

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #98 on: November 09, 2011, 06:49:48 pm »

Your Home Teacher?  :P
Guess I gave away my family background there, eh?
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #99 on: November 10, 2011, 06:34:53 am »
Lol!
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
Joe

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #101 on: January 09, 2012, 06:42:37 pm »
I figured since I saw this show up, I would throw in my 2 cents. I use an "alias" on this forum (I put alias in quotes because I would guess most people can figure out my real name) and other forums because of my job (I work in US Army Intelligence). I don't really want everyone on the internet to figure out who I am, because some of them may be interested in finding me for reasons I am not interested. I guard this identity as much as I do my real identity, so I don't feel that I am hiding behind my alias.

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #102 on: January 10, 2012, 06:21:23 am »
This guy isn't hiding behind an alias:

http://www.npr.org/templates/archives/archive.php?thingId=103943429&date=1-9-2012&archiveAnchorId=144891556

Maybe I'll legally change my name to "The Dark Side".  :D
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline thetooth

• Assistant Brewer
  • Long Beach, CA
« Reply #103 on: January 10, 2012, 01:41:38 pm »
OK... I'll give my 2 cents.  I like using an alias because people are judgmental.  The original poster is a case in point, in that he has already decided that advice from those of us not plastering our real names all over our posts have no valuable information for him.  That sort of blind judgement of me I can do without, so he is free to ignore my posts if he would prefer.

I'm not concerned about him, or any of you... I'm mostly thinking about future employers and whatnot doing a blanket google search on my name and coming up with a bunch of information that they shouldn't be using to paint a picture of who they think I am.

I don't hide my name if asked in PM or whatnot... but I have no interest in attaching it to all of my public online correspondence.

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #104 on: January 10, 2012, 06:12:19 pm »
I go by Weazletoe / Weaze, because that's just me. It's who I am. The guy you see making pantless bacon quotes, is the same guy you'd meet in person. Now I ask you, do I strike you all as more of a Barry, or a Weaze?  ;D
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.