Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hey, did you guys know.....  (Read 6329 times)

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
Re: Hey, did you guys know.....
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2012, 12:11:11 pm »
Does it count if you take an empty water bottle into the airline lounge, fill it up with the complimentary alcohol (provided by the airline nonetheless) and chug that during the flight? :)

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2012, 12:16:16 pm »
Does it count if you take an empty water bottle into the airline lounge, fill it up with the complimentary alcohol (provided by the airline nonetheless) and chug that during the flight? :)

Perfectly appropriate.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2012, 12:59:01 pm »
Kind of hard anyways these days with the 100 ml restriction. I, of course, have NEVER brought fermented potato juice in a small water bottle on an airplane........ ::)

wait a second, aren't you FLYING the plane oscar? don't tell me about your drinking!!!
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2012, 01:16:50 pm »
As far as I can tell, the TSA never say you can't bring alcohol on board.  The TSA only cares that you bring 3 oz. or less on in your carry on. 

The AIRLINE wants to sell you cheap booze at hugely inflated prices so they want you to think you can't bring alcohol on board.

What I use for mouthwash is up to me.  8^)

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2012, 01:50:48 pm »
Kind of hard anyways these days with the 100 ml restriction. I, of course, have NEVER brought fermented potato juice in a small water bottle on an airplane........ ::)

wait a second, aren't you FLYING the plane oscar? don't tell me about your drinking!!!

Eh, no big deal.  The planes fly themselves these days, right....
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2012, 02:31:33 pm »
Interesting discussion.  Thanks for the links.

What I am reading in the United link, is that liquids must be in a 100 ml (or less) container inside a quart ziplock.  So, does that mean you can have as many 100 ml containers as you can fit inside a quart ziplock?  I'm thinking I could probably get 3 inside one baggie, which would be 10 oz. of liquor, which would get me where I need to go and then some.

Ahh, I remember the 1980s, when I used to fly to Puerto Rico.  We would bring a nalgene bottle in our carry on, filled with rum.  We would order cans of tonic water ("Please leave me the whole can, ma'am.  Thank you.  And may I have a twist of lime?") and mix our own drinks.

By the time we got to San Juan, we would have to pour ourselves into the cab to the Caribe Hilton. Ahh, those different times. Good times.

narvin

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2012, 03:12:52 pm »
It's also a federal offense to get out of your seat while the plane is on the runway.  My GF found this one out while we were waiting for a gate after landing and she couldn't hold it any longer.  They actually called the FAA to find out if she could go.  Because, clearly, planes on the ground are a much more important matter to them than the ones in the air   ::)

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2012, 04:04:59 pm »
Maybe one of you guys could tell me why I got called back to the baggage drop-off desk one time to pick up a plastic cider bottle that smelled like scotch that I had packed into a suitcase.  I didn't want to waste the left-over scotch and the bottle was a bit large so I poured it into the apple cider bottle and packed it away.  I thought it was OK to carry liquor in checked bags, but maybe they didn't like the label on the bottle not matching the contents.  Or maybe they didn't like it that the bottle had obviously been opened.  We ended up drinking a bit too much scotch at the airport a little too early in the morning.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2012, 07:14:22 pm »
Back in the pre-Gestapo days, I never flew without my own bottle. I also, in a possibly unrelated event, left my seat to go heave in the head while the plane was on the tarmac.

I guess I'm lucky the brute squad didn't get called in.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2012, 08:11:00 pm »
I remember a flight back in my flying every week days where I mixed up a big water bottle full of vodka tonic for my evening flight home on Friday.  When the attendant came around I just asked for two glasses of ice and lots of lime chunks.  She gave me a strange look, gave me what I asked for, and away I went.  I'm lucky that getting home from Dulles (via a cab) was pretty much routine auto-pilot for me at the time.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2012, 09:05:19 pm »
Back in the pre-Gestapo days, I never flew without my own bottle. I also, in a possibly unrelated event, left my seat to go heave in the head while the plane was on the tarmac.

"I'm on the brute squad"

"you ARE the brute squad!"
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2012, 10:29:30 pm »

"I'm on the brute squad"

"you ARE the brute squad!"

Beat it or I'll call the brute squad!

Inconceivable!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 10:55:59 pm by punatic »
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2012, 12:33:10 am »
Hey Weaze, to answer your question...

Yup.   8) ;)

Actually before all the security changes, the rules allowed any alcohol below 25ish% to be carried on.
Open or sealed, the consumption is what kicked you where the pants don't sit.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 12:34:50 am by rabid_dingo »
Ruben * Colorado :)