Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: German Ale Yeast 1007  (Read 13542 times)

Offline guvna

• 1st Kit
Re: German Ale Yeast 1007
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2009, 06:13:41 pm »
Ok. I just realized that I may have over-pitched tremendously. While using the mr.malty pitch rate calculator, I did a 1 L starter to get about 200 billion cells, and then pitched that into a 3L starter. (All with stir-plate.) My mistake was that when stepping up I should have upped the # of vials slider to two (for two billion cells). Instead of pitching 349 billion cells, I pitched somewhere along the lines of 513. On top of that, I oxygenated quite a bit. Would this have been a likely cause for my sulfur problem?

Sorry skyler, I don't have an answer for you based on experience, but I'd say go for it!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2009, 09:54:43 am »
Now, a real question about 1007: how versatile is this yeast? Could I use it to produce an "American-style" pale ale?

Heck, yeah!  I refer to it as "German 1056".  It works great in any beer where you want a clean yeast character.  Several months back I recommended it to a guy for a dry stout.  I heard back from him recently that it made an outstanding stout.  I've used it for APA and IPA with great results.

And I SWEAR to you I had nothing to do with the naming of 1450!  :)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2009, 10:21:59 am »
Now, a real question about 1007: how versatile is this yeast? Could I use it to produce an "American-style" pale ale?

Heck, yeah!  I refer to it as "German 1056".  It works great in any beer where you want a clean yeast character.  Several months back I recommended it to a guy for a dry stout.  I heard back from him recently that it made an outstanding stout.  I've used it for APA and IPA with great results.

And I SWEAR to you I had nothing to do with the naming of 1450!  :)

Certainly did  8)
Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2009, 10:23:05 am »
See, every once in a while I get it right!  ;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2009, 10:50:36 am »

Proof that it cant hurt to ask and sometimes the results of asking can be outstanding  8)
Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2009, 10:59:58 am »

As Niels Bohr has once said the  definition of an expert is "one who has made all the mistakes in a very narrow field".

Someday I'll get there.  8)
Ron Price

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2009, 04:41:51 pm »
I decided to call my Drifter-inspired pale ale Hobo Pale Ale. This will be my first time brewing with Nelson Sauvin and my first time using Optic malt. German yeast, English and Belgian malt, Kiwi and American hops - this beer is going to be all over the place.

Offline seajellie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2010, 04:52:58 pm »
Guvna, it's been two months. How'd the sulfuresque alt turn out?

According to the White Labs website, "high" fermentation temps can create a high sulfur level in your beer. So one possibility is that when you overpitched, the excessive quantity of yeast produced a larger exothermic reaction than normal. Your normal cooling methods may not have kept the ferment in the desired temp range with such a big yeast load.

I'd imagine that overpitching itself can cause extra yeast stress, apart from the higher temp. Add the two together, and maybe that's why it happened.

I think that's what happened to one of my lagers. I used most of a previous yeast cake, the ferment took off like a rocket, and the rotten egg smell that pervaded the whole house almost got me banned from ever brewing in the house again...

fortunately, most of the odor wore off and the beer is drinkable. I still have a few left. I'll crash chill them for a month and see if they improve.