Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Trip To Belgium  (Read 3852 times)

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
Trip To Belgium
« on: November 02, 2011, 02:15:53 pm »
Had our 3rd annual Tennessee Cigar and Brew Fest this past Saturday and had about 1500 attend . . That is very encouraging for the event's future! Anyway, I took a flight of 8 different Belgians that were received with much praise and compliment which always feels good. One of the brewers form the Memphis club mentioned a beer festival in Antwerp that happens in June . . I believe the Beer Passion Festival. I suggested to my wife that that might be a good vacation next year . . she can shop for diamonds, while I shop for beer! (sounds equitable to me  :D ) She said sounds good to her!  ;D 

So, has anyone been to this fest? What are the language barriers to contend with in that area? Any info would be appreciated.

As a footnote, another guy from the Bluff City Brewers club brought a bottle of Westvleteren 12 to the Brew Fest which we shared . . . Simply sublime.

Don't suppose anyone knows a ringer recipe for this??
Just brew it...

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Trip To Belgium
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 05:07:55 pm »
Don't know the festival, but can tell you that language is a non issue. In Antwerpen the tongue is Flemish, or Vlaams as they call it, which is a dialect of Dutch. But, just about everyone speaks English, especially those working in the hospitality industry.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 02:38:47 am »
I don't know about that festival, but there are festivals all over Belgium all year long. See here (2012 is just starting to get filled in):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlzngWrA6XiTdFlZRGw0YTdPaWFfWkIxTmxqNWkxWlE#gid=1

Zythos (ZBF) in April is the biggest. My personal favorite is the Hasselt Weekend of Beer happening mid-November.

No, you shouldn't have a problem with language, as long as you're not randomly striking up conversation with passers-by. It's not true that "nearly everyone speaks English", but enough know enough that you'll have no problem getting by. English is far more widespread among the younger generation. I have my own rule: Under 30, go straight to English; over 30, give Flemish a try.

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 06:17:55 am »
I have my own rule: Under 30, go straight to English; over 30, give Flemish a try.

Allez meneer, ge praat Vlaams?

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 07:11:48 am »
Genoeg om bier te kopen.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 08:54:19 am »
I have my own rule: Under 30, go straight to English; over 30, give Flemish a try.

Yahoo could only partially translate this. Apparently it doesn't grok flemish. 'Allez Mr. ge talk flemish?'
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 10:26:52 am »

Yahoo could only partially translate this. Apparently it doesn't grok flemish. 'Allez Mr. ge talk flemish?'

Allez is stolen from French and probably won't translate. Also you should use google translate, not yahoo. :-)
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 11:13:27 am »

Allez is stolen from French and probably won't translate. Also you should use google translate, not yahoo. :-)

But yahoo translate is called babel fish and as a dedicated HGTG fan I am required to use babel fish. ;D
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 02:26:55 pm »
Yahoo might like this better:
Zo maneer, spreek je vlaams?

Like Phil said, allez is taken from French and usually used in place of "so" or "like", depending on your age. "Ge" was just a typo. He meant "je".

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 04:21:38 pm »
Yahoo might like this better:
Zo maneer, spreek je vlaams?

Like Phil said, allez is taken from French and usually used in place of "so" or "like", depending on your age. "Ge" was just a typo. He meant "je".

"Ge" was definitely not a typo. It's the slang version of "gij".  It's "southern speak" in both Holland and Belgium. That said, my knowledge base stopped updating in the early 80's. I suspect only the old farts (like me) talk like that now.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2011, 05:11:24 am »
My only comment is make sure you know what the typical weather is, and check what it actually is going to be. We went and they were having a very hot time, I had no clothes for anything other than Fall and was in a pool of sweat most of the time. On the bright side it made me thirsty ;)
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2011, 07:46:00 am »

"Ge" was definitely not a typo. It's the slang version of "gij".  It's "southern speak" in both Holland and Belgium. That said, my knowledge base stopped updating in the early 80's. I suspect only the old farts (like me) talk like that now.

Interesting. I don't recall hearing that. It's true, old people talk pretty funny, especially around my 'hood. The men sound like they're imitating Goofy.