Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Old Rasputin  (Read 8419 times)

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
Re: Old Rasputin
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2011, 07:29:22 pm »
I'm with y'all on this one, for sure.
I think Old Rasputin is the best of its type out there.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2011, 12:26:39 pm »
I'm with y'all on this one, for sure.
I think Old Rasputin is the best of its type out there.

Finally found a bottle of Samuel Smiths Russian Imperial Stout and had it this weekend. I have to say Old Rasputin definitely kicks the pants off the old czar there.

Old Rasputin!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2012, 03:33:43 pm »
I wish I could find Old Rasputin close to me, maybe I can get one of the locals to see if their distributors carry it and brind it in.  Does it come in a 4 pack or a 6 pack?  I'm getting to where I appreciate big dark beers more and more.  I'm not particularly fond of Belgians dark or not and regular IPA's are just a bitter APA it seems.  Yeh, I'm kinda picky I suppose but I know what I like.   :P  Give me a great tasting beer thats got high abv, good body and loaded with Flavor and I'm happy as hell... I don't need a six pack to make me happy, just good beer with some kick to it.   8)

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2012, 03:42:21 pm »
4 Pack and not cheap..

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2012, 03:48:55 pm »
I've got one left in my fridge.  I think the four-pack ran me around $10 or $11.

Had one on draft a couple weeks ago and had to get more.

Compared to the draft price (and NOT a full 16 oz pint) the four pack is a deal.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2012, 11:20:40 pm »
I wish I could find Old Rasputin close to me, maybe I can get one of the locals to see if their distributors carry it and brind it in.  Does it come in a 4 pack or a 6 pack?  I'm getting to where I appreciate big dark beers more and more.  I'm not particularly fond of Belgians dark or not and regular IPA's are just a bitter APA it seems.  Yeh, I'm kinda picky I suppose but I know what I like.   :P  Give me a great tasting beer thats got high abv, good body and loaded with Flavor and I'm happy as hell... I don't need a six pack to make me happy, just good beer with some kick to it.   8)

Dean they come in packs of four.

Rasputin is surprisingly hoppy but it's so bold in the other areas it just works. And well at that!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2012, 05:11:37 pm »
I just finished shoveling about four inches for fresh snow and I'm sipping my last bottle of Old Rasputin.

This is the perfect beer to watch a snowfall.

On Monday, the kids were out front with sidewalk chalk.  Today it's snowing and in the 20s.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2012, 09:55:20 pm »
I must have got a bad 4 of this. Was for $9.99 ($5 off regular price in my neck of the woods) and tastes like crap. Metallic, syrupy and harshly alcoholic. Could b'arel'y choke two down in two days. Blech. WTF? Poor handling?

I suspect too much heat.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2012, 02:30:13 pm »
Just saw that they released recently Old Rapsutin XII which is aged in bourbon casks.

Anyone had this version?  I'm going to see if I can find a bottle on the way home for tonight's card game.

Reviews on Beeradvocate are recent, so hopefully I can find it.

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2012, 08:21:09 pm »
I was in Davis, CA this week for training (not beer-related...) and with a night alone and not much to do, stopped in a bar and had a pint of this on tap. I've enjoyed this beer in the past, though I hadn't had it in a couple of years, but on tap? It was deeeeeeeelicious. Roasty-hoppy-roasty.  Awesome nightcap, even in the middle of a hot summer!
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2012, 08:47:58 am »
I was in Davis, CA this week for training (not beer-related...) and with a night alone and not much to do, stopped in a bar and had a pint of this on tap. I've enjoyed this beer in the past, though I hadn't had it in a couple of years, but on tap? It was deeeeeeeelicious. Roasty-hoppy-roasty.  Awesome nightcap, even in the middle of a hot summer!

Did you check out the beer shoppe? it's no city beer store but it's not bad for a small town bottle shop.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2012, 09:34:04 am »
SWMBO (just to annoy Beersk) or SWINO when i am in trouble bought some of this at trader joes last month. i have had to stop a couple of times since then to get more. (reason to ride my motorcycle 8)).  she absolutely loves the stuff.  oh, i like it too. 
Don AHA member

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2012, 09:31:52 pm »

Did you check out the beer shoppe? it's no city beer store but it's not bad for a small town bottle shop.

I walked in but didn't get a welcome vibe, and it was pretty full.  Did look like it had a lot of beer (a sound criterion). Went to the dive bar across the street and the bartender was incredibly welcoming. Beer+book+window-seat, it was just right.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2012, 09:11:38 am »

I walked in but didn't get a welcome vibe, and it was pretty full.  Did look like it had a lot of beer (a sound criterion). Went to the dive bar across the street and the bartender was incredibly welcoming. Beer+book+window-seat, it was just right.

Yeah, it can get pretty crowded in there. wunderbar is nice and quite by comparison.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce