Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Does Using a Strainer Reduce Trub in Primary?  (Read 11942 times)

Offline robertpreed

• Cellarman
Does Using a Strainer Reduce Trub in Primary?
« on: November 14, 2011, 09:25:52 am »
In almost every book or article, they point out how important it is to not let a lot of trub into the primary fermenter and that the trub appears as "silt" in the cooled wort in the brew pot.

My question is, I NEVER see anything like silt with a flashing neon sign that reads "TRUB".   Am I overlooking the obvious?

I strain all of my beer through a funnel and strainer and remove the beer from primary to secondary after a week to get the beer away from all the junk in the bottom of the primary.

Should I just relax and not worry, or is there something else I could/should be doing?

Thank you.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: Does Using a Strainer Reduce Trub in Primary?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 09:54:00 am »
Some trub is good for yeast health and development but too much trub may impact beer flavor. I like to keep most of the trub from going into the primary fermenter. Filtering out some of the trub is fine. I usually transfer the chilled wort into a bucket and let the trub settle out for about an hour then siphon the wort from the trub into the fermenter. You will hear varying opinions on this but this is my recommendation.
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 10:02:46 am »
In my system the hot break stays in the kettle, the cold break ends up in the fermenter with no straining or filtering.  I haven't noticed any off flavors, and don't recommend racking from primary unless the beer is actually finished fermenting.  When racking from primary, I would not go to secondary unless there is a good reason to do so (dry hopping, adding fruit or bugs, etc).  Otherwise I'd just rack to a keg and carbonate it.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 10:06:55 am »
When racking from primary, I would not go to secondary unless there is a good reason to do so (dry hopping, adding fruit or bugs, etc).  Otherwise I'd just rack to a keg and carbonate it.

+1

I almost never use a secondary. It's really not necessary and may do more harm than good for most beers, with the exception of fruit or bugs as Tom has indicated.
Ron Price

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 10:12:35 am »
I run my wort through a grain bag on it's way to the fermenter. It removes much but not all of the trub/hops etc. A fair amount is left in the kettle and alot is left in the grain bag. some ends up in the fermenter and it forms maybe .5 inches of gunk at the bottom of the fermenter. I have also just run it all out into the fermenter without straining and also never noticed a problem. The only reason I bother wiith the 'filter' is when I am useing hop pellets and no hop bag. When I use whole hops I bag them and don't bother with the strainer. I tip my kettle to get all the wort out as well. If you don't tip the fermenter you will get even less trub carryover.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline robertpreed

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 10:18:55 am »
I generally use hop pellets and they do a pretty good job clogging up the strainer over the funnel pretty quickly.   When it gets too clogged, I dump the contents of the strainer out and continue pouring all the kettle contents through the strainer.

When I transfer to secondary, I do so only after fermentation is complete and the krausen head has collapsed all the way.

I am hoping that this allows enough trub in, but not too much........

I think in my case, I have a little knowledge and it is causing me to questions almost everything.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 10:23:26 am »
I think in my case, I have a little knowledge and it is causing me to questions almost everything.

That happens :)

So now you have to question why you are racking to secondary instead of just packaging the beer. ;)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 11:50:58 am »
Not getting a lot of trub could be an indication that you need to adjust your water with salts.

I pour my chilled beer from the kettle through a strainer and it catches some trub if I have a fair amount of hops in it, otherwise most goes through.  Doesn't seem to cause me any troubles as far as beer quality.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline ckpash88

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 12:04:41 pm »
Well what if you bottle like me would you still suggest to bottle straight from the primary to avoid trub?
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the Universe

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 12:08:21 pm »
Well what if you bottle like me would you still suggest to bottle straight from the primary to avoid trub?
I would still bottle straight from primary, there is no reason to go to a secondary.  If you are worried about it being clear, crash cool it when it is done and just rack to the bottling bucket carefully.  You shouldn't lose any more beer than if you racked it to a secondary (bright) vessel, and you don't have the risks inherent in the additional transfer.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, 12:08:43 pm »
Primary (2-3 weeks) ===> Bottling Bucket ===> Bottle.  Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline ckpash88

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2011, 12:28:08 pm »
Now what about lagering do you keep it the primary while lagering?

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2011, 12:31:56 pm »
Not usually, I just lager in the package, in my case a keg.  But you can crash cool and leave it in primary for months with no ill effects (that I've noticed).
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2011, 12:38:38 pm »
Not usually, I just lager in the package, in my case a keg.  But you can crash cool and leave it in primary for months with no ill effects (that I've noticed).

If I was going to lager without first bottling or kegging, I'd at least rack to a secondary.

Offline ckpash88

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2011, 12:50:36 pm »
So if i didnt want to rack to a secondary to lager i could bottle then through them in the fridge and lager that way?

If thats right so the process for me would be to let the beer ferment to FG at lager yeast temps then add the priming sugar and the beer to a bottle bucket, bottle them, then through them in the fridge for the lagering time, crack one open and enjoy?

Could i carb at room temp then through them in the fridge to lager?