Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Westy in the US!  (Read 6961 times)

Offline JKL

• Assistant Brewer
Westy in the US!
« on: November 15, 2011, 04:02:30 pm »
For those who have never tried one it looks like you might get to try an ABT 12 next year....well if ur lucky enough to find it?

This is from BA. Posted a couple weeks ago.

Westvleteren Beer To Be Distributed In U.S.

Westvleteren is coming to the U.S.

You read that correctly. For the first (and more than likely) only time in history, Westvleteren beers will be bottled, shipped and legally sold on U.S. soil.

Widely regarded as the maker of some of the most coveted beers in the world, the brewery will ship a limited amount of product to the U.S. in an attempt to raise money for an aging monastery in need of repairs and also planning and expansion.

Daniel Shelton, of Shelton Brothers Importers confirmed that next April, he will be importing 7760 special ‘gift-pack’ units from the Belgium-based brewery and monastery. The packs contain six bottles of beer and two, 15cl glasses.

Shelton is still working out the exact details of the deal and could not yet confirm what the suggested retail price of the gift pack will be or which markets will receive the beer. Shelton is based in Belchertown, Mass.

Undoubtedly, the gift packs will sell for considerably less than what the “grey market” is offering at this time on auction sites like eBay.

Additionally, Shelton mentioned that Manneken-Brusel Imports out of Austin, TX would also be importing an undisclosed amount of the beer into the U.S market.

All of the proceeds from the packs sold into the U.S. market will help fund the rebuilding and expansion of the Westvleteren monastery. Westvleteren made about 4,500 hectoliters of beer last year (approximately 3,800 U.S. barrels).

The Shelton Brothers import beers from approximately 100 different breweries into the U.S. market.

Source:  http://www.brewbound.com/news/west ... ted-in-u-s 

--

Posted: Nov 04, 2011 - 20:13:48 UTC (2 weeks ago) | Permalink

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Westy in the US!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 04:53:40 pm »
Good to know cause I want to try this brewery's beer.

Thanks.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 08:19:52 am »
I'm losing it, I thought this stuff was already here...what am I confusing it with?

EDIT: Ah yes, I was confusing it with Westmalle.  Ne'ermind!
Jesse

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 11:53:17 am »
In a way I'm sad that they've finally caved on their principles, but I can understand wanting to get the money for a new brewery.  Part of me wants to give the beer a try, but I am almost certain that it will be a letdown after all this time.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 11:56:34 am »
It is a letdown, which is not surprising.

It is very good and I'm glad to have had it, but it is not nearly as orgasmic as the hype would suggest.
Tom Schmidlin

narvin

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 12:03:47 pm »
Supposedly this is a one time thing, and not a permanent expansion into the US market.

And, I don't think it's a let down, but it can be inconsistent.  When it's good, it's wonderful, though.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 12:22:20 pm »
Would you say it's the best beer you've ever had?  The best beer in the world?  I wouldn't.

Maybe "very good" isn't high enough praise, call it great, call it wonderful, that's all fine.  But not the best beer in the world, not to me.  I'll still buy some if the price is reasonable though :)
Tom Schmidlin

narvin

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 12:40:13 pm »
I wouldn't, but I don't really think you can rank a beer, or anything, as "the best in the world".  There are a lot of different types of beer, and many of them are spectacular, but what makes a #2 different than #3?  Most rankings are just mental masturbation IMO.

I would say that it's just as good as one of my favorites, Rochefort 10.  And even that isn't worth its price except for occasionally  :)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 12:48:39 pm »
I haven't had the opportunity to try this highly acclaimed brew, but will be looking forward to it's arrival in the states.

Thanks for the tip.
Ron Price

Offline firedog23

• Brewer
  • Just taking it one brew at a time!
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 01:50:30 pm »
All I know is I just came across this in my local Belgium Beer shop here in England (everyone has a local Belgium Beer shop, right?) and it is 20 pounds for a bottle.  It is apparently pretty hard to get hold of over here and we are just a little waterway away from Belgium.  I'll get a bottle to see what it is like.  Merry Christmas to me!
In the fermenter:

Up coming brews:
First boil in a bag

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 01:56:10 pm »
It is a letdown, which is not surprising.

It is very good and I'm glad to have had it, but it is not nearly as orgasmic as the hype would suggest.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one with that opinion.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 04:41:36 pm »
I am excited about this just because it will be fun to try it with some people who are really into beer, but have never tasted it. Then again, I would say that I like Rochefort 10 a fair amount more and that I also found St. Bernardus 12 slightly superior (and I drank the St. Bernardus 12 immediately after the Wesvleteren 12)... but those are all great beers and even just being able to "go toe to toe" with Rochefort 10 is high praise for any Belgian Ale. Count me as a fan and a hopeful consumer.

For the record, Rochefort 10 is usually under 2 euros per bottle in a supermarket in Belgium, and Westvleteren 12 will cost you at least 10 euros in a bottle shop in Belgium (many of them carry it when they can get ahold of a case, despite the monastery's request that they do not sell it)....

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 05:00:34 pm »
I had a Westvleteren 12 a while back and I loved it. I haven't Googled it yet, but has anyone here had any luck cloning it?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2011, 05:40:22 pm »
I had the privilege of trying one a few years ago (hooked up by Brandon from Nashville, thanks dude!) and while I agree it was not "orgasmic" it was still very good, and I'm very thankful I got to try one (if for no other reason than to say I have  ;)). Since I only had one ever I can't comment on the consistency. I'd pick one up if the price wasn't too outrageous.

Another thought: The way the beer is hyped up it is bound to be a disappointment. Perhaps no beer can live up to that type of hype.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 05:44:58 pm by majorvices »

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2011, 06:09:25 pm »
If I do procure one I would try it along side Westmalle, Rochefort, Chimay, Achel and maybe Koningshoeven and St Bernardus.  I do like how there are distinct differences in the flavors of these beers.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO