Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Point Proven? (and a message for new brewers)  (Read 6359 times)

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
Re: Point Proven? (and a message for new brewers)
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2011, 06:56:57 am »
This past weekend I got to serve my beer at a festival.  In fact the homebrew tent was a huge hit.  I got quite a few questions on what kind of system I use to make beer, and some people were pretty shocked when I told them my system was a 20qt pot and small mash tun and that all my stuff is partial mash/partial boils.  Everyone loved the beer, and I even had repeat customers.  I "Sold out" of 10 gallons in about 4 hours. 

So no, I didn't need fancy equipment, I just needed the ability to learn from good people how to brew great beer.  (And the few books I've picked up help too).  Sometimes maybe I post here and think, wow I must sound like I'm clueless, but it helps me learn so I'm OK with it. 

And there's still stuff I know I can do to improve my beer. 
Homebrewed since 2010

Offline sharg54

• Cellarman
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2011, 06:56:14 pm »
I have to agree with most of the posts here . Equipment don't make good beer. Education, sanitation and fermentation temp control do however. Other than a dedicated fridge for lagers and a room in my house that stays at 62 degrees year round for ales there hasn't been any change in equipment other than a 7 gallon turkey cooker and burner to take it out in the back to keep the wife happy as I'm no longer trashing her kitchen a couple times a months. You have to keep it clean and sanitized or your starting out in a hole and if you can't keep a handle on your fermentation temp your going to get mixed results.  I still use the same 48 qt Got cooler I started with to mash in and the same glass and plastic carboys and buckets I got with my first kit. They work fine and the only advantage to getting expensive equipment I can see is to make it a little easier to brew but in MHO part of the fun is the work involved in making beer. No short cuts and sticking to tried and true methods is what works. About the only thing I have changed in the little over a year I have been home brewing is I dumped the fly sparge in favor of a batch sparge. I just don't have the equipment or setup to hold the temp needed for an hour long sparge. My best advice would be get a handle on your process, keep is so clean and sanitized you put an operating room to shame and keep a handle on your fermentation temps and get all the education you can and this is the place for that.  Other than that have a home brew and relax the rest is just bells and whistles.
People keep telling me it's not rocket science... I like rockets..

Offline HydraulicSammich

• Assistant Brewer
  • Logan, UT
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2011, 07:54:44 pm »
My two bits.
As a new home brewer, I have spent the last two years and sixty batches brewing beer that is consistently getting better.  The reason for my success has flat out been this forum.  You cannot beat the accumulated years of good information on this site.  Interestingly enough, most everyone points you in the right direction.  Either through their experience or recommending the appropriate written resource.  In two short years I am into a six keg kegerator and three chest freezers for fermentation and lagering.  The brewing equipment though is still the Gott cooler, chiller and carboy.  I would agree with the sanitation, fermentation temperature control and yeast management.  Thanks to all of you and to all the new brewers in the wings, cheers!
AHA Member 900001775

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2011, 09:44:06 pm »
Sanitation is a good practice but without the proper temprature controls and yeast pitching practices you can very easily end up with perfectly sanitary bad beer. Besides, paranioa takes away the fun of home brewing.

I have made some less than desirable beer by frementing to hot or under pitching but have never had an infected batch in 20+ years and my sanitation practices are not exactly up to par for what is required for brain surgery. I have dug out more than one grommet from the bottom of the bucket.

I can't believe no one has brought up that co2 purging thing.

Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee