Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Buckwheat Honey  (Read 2554 times)

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
Buckwheat Honey
« on: November 16, 2011, 08:46:23 pm »
Hi All,

I was looking to make a Winter Saison with some spices, and perhaps some buckwheat honey. I was wondering what anyone's experience has been with this honey in a beer. I have always been a big fan of this honey, but am not sure if it will be perhaps a bit too much for this style. So, will this go well in a Saison, or will it overpower everything else?
Kyle M.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Buckwheat Honey
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 09:33:59 pm »
It depends on what you mean by "some" honey.  It's pretty strong stuff and I'm not sure I'd want that in a saison, but if you use a light hand it could turn out nice.  Maybe 1 lb?

My only experience with it is in buckwheat meads by the way, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline ryang

• Brewer
  • Indian Hills CO
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 09:41:06 am »
MikeT (the mad fermentationist) used buckwheat honey in this recipe http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2010/12/fig-honey-anise-dark-sasion.html
but scaled it back since it's such a potent honey.

I've not used it myself, just thought I'd pass that link along

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 10:37:58 am »
I used buckwheat honey in a braggot and it turned out quite tasty. I think you could use it in a saison but keep the amount low due to its powerful flavor.

Happy brewing,
Brandon

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 11:28:16 am »
I'm with Tom in saying I've only used it in mead.  It's a strong flavored honey.  In mead, it definitely needs aging time.  Not sure how much you'd want to use in a beer, maybe 1-2 lbs at the end of the boil.  Or rack on top of it mixed in with some boiled and cooled water in the secondary (this might actually be best as adding it to the kettle will just be adding more highly fermentable sugars).
Jesse

Offline bigchicken

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lincoln, NE
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 11:57:46 am »
I've brewed twice with buckwheat honey and have found a dab will do. I used 1lb both times, once in an American wheat and once in a hefe. The American turned out amazing at first, but actually got sweeter over time. Too sweet for me. The hefe was good at first, but has diminished in quality in a very short time. I'd suggest using no more than 1 pound and consider only a half pound per 5 gallon batch.
TJ Cook

On Deck: Planning
Fermenting: Nothing
In bottles: It's All About MEAD!

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 02:38:16 pm »
Thanks for the replies. I was looking to use about 4-6oz in secondary, and perhaps prime the bottles with it. Sounds to me that this is something that will work.

Also, a Buckwheat Mead sounds great! How have yours turned out?
Kyle M.