Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Calypso hops - Where should I use these?  (Read 3174 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Calypso hops - Where should I use these?
« on: November 13, 2011, 10:16:49 am »
I won a lb of calypso pellets at a homebrew competition and I have no idea what sort of beer to use these in.  Has anyone used them?  I've never really heard much about them but since I've got them, I may as well put them to use. 
Alpha is 12.8%
Thanks.

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
Re: Calypso hops - Where should I use these?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 11:07:04 am »
I got some last year and have tried them in a couple of beers.
I made a single hop APA and didn't like the bittering qualities. It was pretty harsh, but not in a good way like Chinook. The aroma is interesting and I think they'd mix well with a floral hop like Styrian Goldings The other beer was a Belgian pale with WL515, that was okay but nothing stood out.

They smelled very strongly of pear when I opened the bag, but that hasn't come through in the beers.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
Re: Calypso hops - Where should I use these?
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 07:31:55 pm »
I noticed the pear aroma when I bought them...But it didn't come through.  However, I made a Calypso/Palisade IPA basically, equal portions of bittering, flavor, aroma, dry...  1 oz each at 60, 1 oz each at 20, 1 oz Palisade at 5.  And then dry hop with 1 oz each for 7 days, it was the most interesting/unique IPA I've ever had.  Actually, I need to make this again soon! 
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"