Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wild rice question  (Read 3515 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Wild rice question
« on: November 16, 2011, 09:07:09 am »
Does anyone know what type of sugars, and the amount, you get from wild rice?  This site http://calorielab.com/foods/rice/wild-rice-raw/21/20088/1 says 1.1 gr. of sucrose per 160 gr. of rice, but it also seems to suggest a total of 4 gr. of sugar.  If that's the case, does anyone know what else is in there?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
Re: Wild rice question
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 09:20:54 am »
Maybe you can decipher this information, better than I can...

http://ddr.nal.usda.gov/bitstream/10113/29993/1/CAIN769119248.pdf

Don't know whether it's of any help, or not.

I also wonder whether the guys mentioned in this article would have any input...If you can find them:
http://www.byo.com/stories/article/indices/38-ingredients/1665-wild-wild-rice

Gray Owl Foods is located in the town where I grew up.
They might be worth contacting.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 09:30:48 am by Kit B »

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 09:31:51 am »
denny, your website doesn't have complete or accurate data. doesn't make sense.  if you look at calories from carbs it is 480 calories which implies 120 g of carbohydrate (4 cal/gram) this supports its notion that there is 119. gram total carb but not their breakdown.  i will look at the other reference as well. but look at that same site and see what the breakdown is on regular white rice. it will be close.  i will recheck and update.
Don AHA member

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 09:34:24 am »
From the USDA link posted it looks like around 1-2% sugar and 2-3% pentosans (polysacharides) which I would guess would convert in the mash. But IANAS (I Am Not A Scientist)
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 10:10:13 am »
Thanks, guys...keep it coming!  The question is more about the types of sugars than the amounts, but all info is welcome.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 10:17:52 am »
Denny, they are talking about raw rice, which will be very low in sugar.  There will be a lot of carbs, some protein, and some fat.  Pentosans generally won't convert in the mash, and are not fermentable.

A lot of the carbs will convert though, and I think you can expect to get a similar sugar profile after mashing that you get from just barley.  My reasoning here is that the enzymes breaking down the carbs are from the barely and should work on the rice carbs the same way they work on the barley carbs.  The rice carbs might have less branching than the barley carbs which would explain why it would ferment more completely, although that (complete fermentation) is generally the rule with white rice and may not apply to wild rice.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 10:19:51 am »
So, does this appear to be a fairly accurate statement?

"Wild rice, being a grass and thus similar to our favorite cereal grain, most likely mashes down into glucose, maltose, and maltotriose (among other things)"

www.dennybrew.com

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 10:23:50 am »
So, does this appear to be a fairly accurate statement?

"Wild rice, being a grass and thus similar to our favorite cereal grain, most likely mashes down into glucose, maltose, and maltotriose (among other things)"
I wouldn't phrase it that way.  It is not so much about how similar the rice is to barley, but that when you use it in a cereal mash the wild rice is being converted by barley enzymes.  They should breakdown the rice carbs the same way they attack the barley carbs, so you'll get similar proportions of the wort sugars.

I would probably phrase it like this:

"Wild rice is a grass and thus similar to our favorite cereal grain.  It most likely mashes down into glucose, maltose, and maltotriose (among other things) in similar proportions to what you get from a pure barley mash"
Tom Schmidlin

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 10:26:14 am »
Gotcha!  Thanks for the explanation.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 10:51:08 am »
or think of it like this.  most plant carbohydrate is either digestible by us (turns in to sugars) or undigestible. usually the fiber. some animals (cows, goats) can digest that as well.  in the nutritional material when it says 120 grams of carbohydrate out of the 160 gm (and as tom pointed out raw) rice this is what we can digest (hence the 480 calories)  most of this like in barley will likely be able to be converted by yeast, 

the real question to me is how does grams carbohydrate equate to gravity potential per gallon...
Don AHA member

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011, 11:10:48 am »
or think of it like this.  most plant carbohydrate is either digestible by us (turns in to sugars) or undigestible. usually the fiber. some animals (cows, goats) can digest that as well.  in the nutritional material when it says 120 grams of carbohydrate out of the 160 gm (and as tom pointed out raw) rice this is what we can digest (hence the 480 calories)  most of this like in barley will likely be able to be converted by yeast malt enzymes
Fixed that ;)

the real question to me is how does grams carbohydrate equate to gravity potential per gallon...
Assuming you get good extraction and some conversion, grams of carbs should equal grams of sugar in terms of determining gravity potential.  How much of that is fermentable depends on the nature of the carbs (how much branching, etc) and conversion efficiency, so this will affect your FG.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2011, 12:34:10 pm »
thanks tom. 
Don AHA member

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 09:21:20 am »
Denny,

You could contact Danny here: http://www.cautionbrewingco.com/news.html

He makes a wild rice beer and may have some research or at least practical experience in using it as a adjunct for brewing.
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2011, 08:39:54 am »
What I dig is the way it is harvested....by canoe!  Oh and yeah the flavor rocks
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.